1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken not getting feathers back

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RoostingRooster, Mar 27, 2016.

1. RoostingRooster

RoostingRooster New Egg

Jun 25, 2014
    One of my chickens doesn't have much feathers it looks like she is molting but hasn't grown her feathers back it has been about four months now

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Is this really your first post? [​IMG]

Do you see any pin feathers at all - it can take a long time to see the regrowth. If no pins, you should post a pic for more opinions.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Took me a minute to see why sunflour would ask if this was your first post...I see now...you joined in 2014. Sometimes it takes me a minute.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

What are you feeding the chicken? Insufficient nutrition can retard feather growth...

You could also have a mite or other infestation causing the chicken to continually pluck themselves giving the indication there is no new growth...

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. RoostingRooster

RoostingRooster New Egg

Jun 25, 2014
    [​IMG]she doesn't have any pins we have checked for lice but have not found any we feed her dumour crumble chicken feed and they get cracked corn often throughout the week she is free ranged but they only come out a couple times a week

7. MeepBeep

If it was me, I would cut out the corn entirely and try feeding a higher percentage feed, something like an 18% or greater protein feed all flock or a 20%+ game bird feed... And if she is laying a side of oyster shells...

They need the protein intake to build feathers, corn dilutes the protein intake...

1 person likes this.
  8. RoostingRooster

RoostingRooster New Egg

Jun 25, 2014
    Thank you meep beep

9. MeepBeep

Another thing you can do for that particular chicken is isolate them and give them a little bit of canned or dry cat food as a treat in addition to the higher protein feed...

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cat food does have a lot of salt, so you may want alternatives, like meal worms, scrambled eggs, low sodium tuna etc. Chickens love corn but, it just makes them fat and is very poor in regard to nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by