Chicken not laying, seems sick.

4BOWChickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Chicken Wonderland
Good morning everyone!!
I have a 6 1/2 month old hen, a White Leghorn, who has been acting very strange lately. The other day I went out to see if there were any eggs, and she was just laying on the ground. Now that might not seem strange to some, but it did to me because my chickens always run up and greet anyone who comes to visit them. So I went over to her and petted her to see if I could get her to move and normally when any of them are laying down and I come over they get up. Well she didn't. I even tried picking her up and setting her on the ground. She walked around for a little bit like nothing was wrong. I thought maybe it was just a fluke thing. I had just changed my 4 hens feed to layer feed and I thought maybe it would take a few days for her to get adjusted to it. (I've heard that cats and dogs don't like it when you change their feed so I thought that might be the problem.) It wasn't like she stopped eating or drinking water, she was just inactive. But she wasn't sleeping like they normally do when they lay down. She was just sitting there. Is that normal? This is my first time having chickens so there is a lot i don't know. I watched her for a few days and she seemed to be fine so i kind of forgot about it. Well today I went out and she was just sitting there again. I picked her up and she acted like she was to lay back down but she didn't. She walked around and started scratching, but she just doesn't seem like her usual self. And I don't think she is laying eggs either. I have 2 white Leghorns and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Now I've heard and read that they both normally lay 250-300 eggs a year little more or little less. Well I get 2 brown eggs and 1 white egg just about every day. And I've seen the other white one lay eggs numerous times, so I'm thinking that she is not laying but I don't know what is wrong with her.
I've heard that stress can cause them to not lay. Can it also cause them to be inactive? In the past few months I have had to get rid of 3 roosters from my flock. The 1st because he was attacking people. And then me being the uneducated person that I am about chickens, didn't realize I had two more roosters. ( I got them from tractor supply. They said that all the chicks were pullets. They were wrong. 2 of the 6 I got were roosters. The other rooster I got as a chick from my 4H leader.) So would having 3 roosters leave cause her a lot of stress? (We got rid of the 1st rooster end of June and the other two the last Friday in July.)
Thank you to anyone who has any ideas.

The roosters leaving probably has nothing to do with it. Chickens are usually not very close to each other and move right on when one leaves or dies. It sounds like she's just feeling a bit off. All the same, keep an eye on her and make sure she's still eating and drinking. Also remember that if she keeps lying down/not walking over a prolonged period of time, it could be a sign of something more serious.

Your roosters have nothing to do with it. She's sick, or she has an internal structural problem that is just now showing itself. It is possible that she will die, she acts like a dying chicken.

If you have no other symptoms in your flock, and the bird has no other symptoms than the lethargy, it's possible that there is no disease here and it's just one of those things that happen with animals. We have about one chicken every 18 months or so just lay down and die, no real reason.

However, is there discharge from the eyes or nose? Coughing, sneezing? Are your eggs good quality, or are you seeing weird eggs and/or a drop in production? All of these could mean disease in your flock.

Back
Top Bottom