Chicken not laying

FireflyTX

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 8, 2017
All the sudden my Buff stopped laying. She is about 7 months and was laying very consistently until last week in the nesting box. Everyone else is laying just fine. She is not acting strange or sick. Should I be concerned? Should I quarantine her to see if she is laying and possibly she has been laying her eggs somewhere that I can't find them?

Many hens take breaks in laying. Buff Orpingtons are one breed that consistently does, so I wouldn't worry, she will resume. Some can take a few months, others just weeks, and others just a few day.

All the sudden my Buff stopped laying. She is about 7 months and was laying very consistently until last week in the nesting box. Everyone else is laying just fine. She is not acting strange or sick. Should I be concerned? Should I quarantine her to see if she is laying and possibly she has been laying her eggs somewhere that I can't find them?

That sounds almost exactly like what I am experiencing. you might want to check around to see if she is laying somewhere else in the yard as that is what mine is doing. If she has, she might try to get to them to sit on them.

So is keeping her penned up an option? To figure out if she is actually laying and I just can't find them.

And to confirm, if she's not acting sick or weird, she's ok? This is my biggest concern since this is my daughter's chicken.

That sounds almost exactly like what I am experiencing. you might want to check around to see if she is laying somewhere else in the yard as that is what mine is doing. If she has, she might try to get to them to sit on them.
I have 6 acres so it might be tough to find. Kind of why I am thinking keeping her up for a few days.

6 acres would be tough! I am keeping mine cooped up for a while to re-establish her habits. I think if there was something wrong with her (like egg bound) there would be other symptoms and you would be able to tell. however, my experience is pretty limited. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom