Chicken not molting?

Molting is not hormonal.
Has more to do with day length, nutrition can have a role too.
Molting can be forced by controlling light and/or feed.

Molting is not hormonal.
Has more to do with day length, nutrition can have a role too.
Molting can be forced by controlling light and/or feed.

Yes, molting is hormonal, egg laying is hormonal and broodiness is hormonal in chickens. Art, you surprise me to say it isn't so. How about this:
"Hormones definitely play an important role in raising chickens. But not in the way that most of the people usually think about. Hormones are not used in poultry industry for increasing egg production. Hormones of chickens control almost all activities. Normally, chickens of your own backyard are affected by their own hormones. And their hormones affect everything from growth or laying eggs to molting feathers." http://www.roysfarm.com/functions-of-hormones-in-raising-chickens/
???? Other factors can have a role as well, but like a woman's cycle, it's primarily HORMONAL! :yesss:

OK, sure, true dat...length of day affects the pineal gland(located behind the skull above and between the eyes) which controls hormone levels. That is why most birds molt in the late summer and fall when daylight is decreasing(in the northern hemisphere).

I wouldn't compare to a human female cycle tho,
thank the gods we don't ovulate daily...or 'molt' annually.

Last edited:
OK, sure, true dat...length of day affects the pineal gland(located behind the skull above and between the eyes) which controls hormone levels. That is why most birds molt in the late summer and fall when daylight is decreasing(in the northern hemisphere).

I wouldn't compare to a human female cycle tho,
thank the gods we don't ovulate daily...or 'molt' annually.

Thank you for admitting it is hormonal. You said "molting can be forced . . ." and that is why I threw in the female hormonal statement. Female Gymnasts eat strict diets and over exercise and many of their cycles stop. So, yes, you can "force" things, but I see no point in it. I like to keep it simple and let things roll as they roll naturally. Yes, it would be horrible if we ovulated daily! I can't imagine. I've been happiest since the "change" if you get my meaning!
:wee

Back
Top Bottom