Chicken not moving much - Possible Chicken Fowl Pox?

Aug 19, 2021
Hey all,
I have a chicken that seems fairly healthy all around, however today I noticed she was not wanting to move much. She will move a little but for the most part lay there. She isn't panting, her comb seems normal, I checked for a bound egg and I didn't find anything that indicated she was egg bound. Her crop had food in inside and it felt a little doughy (I think that is normal?). I did see that on her comb there were some very tiny black dots... could this be fowl pox? Would fowl pox cause her to not move and lay in one spot?

I tried to share a picture of her crop, but for some reason I cannot do so on here.

TIA!

Last edited:
Hi @CityChickenLady24 and welcome to the BYC community! :frow

"Tiny black dots" rather sounds like poultry mites or stick tight fleas to me. Both will suck the blood of your hen and can transmit bacteria, which will leave her weak and anaemic.

Without some pictures for exact determination it is hard to tell, so please try again, maybe they were too big for the direct upload.

"Tiny black dots" rather sounds like poultry mites or stick tight fleas to me. Both will suck the blood of your hen and can transmit bacteria, which will leave her weak and anaemic.

Without some pictures for exact determination it is hard to tell, so please try again, maybe they were too big for the direct upload.

I am sry, IT seems I accidenlty posted twice! I thought this post didn't go through, so I went and reposted lol
But here is a picture! Hope this helps enough to give me some insight.

Attachments

• tempImageIVYLnY.png
    tempImageIVYLnY.png
    5 MB · Views: 12
I am sry, IT seems I accidenlty posted twice! I thought this post didn't go through, so I went and reposted lol
But here is a picture! Hope this helps enough to give me some insight.
If you meant these tiny little spots on her comb, they are little scabs, nothing to worry about.

Her crop had food in inside and it felt a little doughy (I think that is normal?)
To make sure her crops empties over night, you can put her in a cage without food or water for the night and feel her crop early in the morning right before she gets to drink or eat. It should be empty by then.

How does her poop look?
When did she last lay an egg?
How old is she?
Did you recently add new chickens to your flock?

Some of my older chickens do rest more, as they are molting right now. And they love to take sun baths too, when the sun comes out even for just a short time, laying spraweld out all over the run.

So perhaps that is what she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom