Chicken only lays soft shell eggs

clogan98

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Torrington, CT
I rescued some chickens on Christmas Eve. It’s been a nightmare. One issue after another. But my question is I’m regards to one that only lays soft eggs.
They are three years old, on layer feed with oyster shell available. It’s been months and it’s not improving. My nest boxes are wood and now they are getting disgusting with egg constantly leaking on them and soaking down into the wood. Come summer it’s going to be a mess.
Is there anything I can do? Another chicken out of these four only lays tiny yolk less eggs. One stopped laying after a bought with sour crop that, thanks to vet intervention, she survived but hasn’t started laying again (been almost two months since).
So out of four chickens only one lays regular eggs.
I’m running out of ideas.

It sounds like she has a problem with the gland that lays down the calcium on the egg. Hopefully someone will chime in who has an answer for you. I suspect, though, that if she has been doing this for over 3 months it may not be a fixable problem. Do they have free access calcium? What are they eating for feed?

Maybe after they molt they will start laying better for you.

You might try lining your nest boxes with old feed sacks, just to prevent the egg from soaking into the wood.

Sometimes you can give them extra calcium, it might work.
Or invite them to dinner.
Had a had a couple with 'bad' shell glands...
...the mess and resultant stink gets old pretty fast.

I rescued some chickens on Christmas Eve. It’s been a nightmare. One issue after another. But my question is I’m regards to one that only lays soft eggs.
They are three years old, on layer feed with oyster shell available. It’s been months and it’s not improving. My nest boxes are wood and now they are getting disgusting with egg constantly leaking on them and soaking down into the wood. Come summer it’s going to be a mess.
Is there anything I can do? Another chicken out of these four only lays tiny yolk less eggs. One stopped laying after a bought with sour crop that, thanks to vet intervention, she survived but hasn’t started laying again (been almost two months since).
So out of four chickens only one lays regular eggs.
I’m running out of ideas.
I also have one who is rescued and only lays soft eggs I have 4 and I only get 1 egg a day.

Now she’s looking off. Ruffled feathers, lethargic, not eating and sitting by herself. Crop looks normal so now I fear one broke inside her because the ones she does lay usually break as soon as she lays them. Fearing the worst for this one.

Back
Top Bottom