chicken or rooster?

Bobby Lou

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 27, 2013
Hi There,

Our local elementary school hatched eggs last spring as part of a curriculum project and we took three of the chicks. We were told they were all hens. They were born June 4, 2013. One has recently started to crow when she wants something-- ready for breakfast or wants to free range. Could she be a hen acting like a rooster? How do I tell? Here is a link to a video I took of her this morning:
She's the orangey-red one. Also, any help with identifying our breeds would be great! Thanks so much. We are newbies to raising chickens!

Stay to end of video to hear her/him crow. Video is just over one minute.

Oh, dear! Are you sure about the darker one? And, the white one never crows.

Here are some additional pics. The bottom two pictures are of the chicken that does crow.

Here's a better picture of the darker one who we call Samantha. This one behave a bit differently than the others. She likes to sit and nest more-- the other two love to perch in high places.

What does one do with Roosters? Will they always get along or will they start to fight? This is so disappointing. We wanted eggs.

sad.png

Samantha is a Sam, no question. He is probably the lowest one on the pecking order, least mature. Since they are the same age and grew up together, they may actually get along with one another fine as long as you don't have any hens for them to compete over. Sometimes individuals don't get along with one another for whatever reason, but a lot of people have "bachelor pens" where they just keep extra roosters, with no problems. You can keep them as pets and see what happens as they get older. Are you allowed to have roosters where you live?
If you can't or don't want to keep them, you can try and find them pet homes or homes where they can be a flock rooster. (If you are not willing to process them to eat, or have someone else eat them.) Craigs List is usually the easiest way to go, other places are any farm/feed stores, agricultural newspapers in your area, 4-H or FFA clubs, county extension office can help you with that.

The white bird is a mixed breed, the red one with the muffs and beard is an Easter egger and the solid red is a hatchery red bird--rhode island, production red,, etc.

Sexing baby chicks is iffy. Even hatcheries, who have folks do it for a living only guarantee 90-95% accuracy. I really doubt anyone at the school knew how to vent sex a baby chick.

Since you have small children and want eggs, I'd strongly suggest rehoming the roosters. Children and roosters really don't mix, once the hormones hit roosters frequently attack kids. Kids are noisy and quick and they make roosters nervous. I'd put an add on Craigslist and not ask about their fates. Most unwanted roosters are eaten and honestly, there are worse things than a good life and a humane end.

Go to a feed store in the spring, or you can order from a hatchery year round. Do some research and see what the chicks you want to get are supposed to look like, especially if you choose to go with sex links. Or, see if someone in your area is selling adult/started pullets. Get a picture and post it on here before you buy them to confirm gender, we've had LOTS of roosters sold to unsuspecting folks as hens recently.

All of your birds look like mixes, and they are unfortunately all roosters. The white one appears to be a cross, maybe with some Easter Egger in him, the reddish one with the muff is an Easter Egger (sold by hatcheries as Americanas or Ameraucana/Araucanas), and the brown bird is probably and Easter Egger/Rhode Island Red mix.

Back
Top Bottom