Chicken Ordinance in Knightdale, NC - trying to change!

achickenwish

Hatching
6 Years
May 28, 2013
I've been wishing for chickens for years now (www.achickenwish.com) and I'm finally going to fight to do something about it instead of just saying, "well, those are the rules." They aren't allowed in the town (well, I don't fit specifications) and they aren't allowed in my HOA but I'm going to try to change that.

I talked to the town planner at Knightdale today and he said about 5 years ago they passed an ordinance that you could have fowl, but only one animal per acre of land you owned. So for those of us in neighborhoods, where they build our homes close together, we can't have any. He said that he has been getting more complaints about this ordinance this year, and that he is bringing it up at the public city planning meeting on June 10 at 6 pm at Town Hall - to see if they are willing to revisit it. This is the FIRST step of so many, but I ask that if you are in Knightdale and want chickens, please join me! We talked about getting a provision for the rule only counting if you had roosters (seperating roosters and chickens in the ordinance) and that may be the way to go.

After that, there will be other steps and red tape and meetings, etc. If anyone wants to help me get this done, let me know! Then I have to tackle the HOA, but one step at a time, right?

Back
Top Bottom