Chicken out law

In my town in Venice Fl on municode.com it just says no domestic fowl can be at large in town and no keeping of hogs in city limits, So im going to get about 4 chicks but i am still worried about the loudness part so i will hint at my neighbors in general conversation about getting some and suppling fresh eggs to them just to see their reactions

I can legally keep up to 25 hens in Salt Lake City........BUT my two laying hens are not technically legal because I have not licensed them. The reason I have not gotten a permit is because city ordinances state that all chickens must be housed, fed, and run not closer than 50 feet from any building used for human habitation. And in an urban area where lots average .15 acres or less this just is not possible. My back fence is 49.5 feet from my back door. So if I call to get a permit Big Brother will come inspect my property and see that I can't fulfill the rules. So I will continue to live illegally. I will freak out if anyone ever reports me because I don't have barking dogs like everyone else in my neighborhood, I don't have parties or play loud music, heck I don't even have a gas-powered lawn mower. But I do worry because Utah does have quite a few busy-bodies. We are the state that arrested a grandmother for not watering her lawn.

BTW Salt Lake City currently has issued fewer than 30 poultry permits but it's estimated that more than 10 times that many households in the city currently have chickens. Our local feed store sold 17,000 chicks last year. So I am not alone in my law-breaking ways.

somad.gif
I am such an evil scoff-law.

well thats pretty neat. Too bad about Davenport, as soo many towns in Iowa allow chickens.

My town is funny, some parts you can have chickens , some parts you cant. Has to do with the township you live in. My part is in the wrong township
wink.png
. I really doubt that anyone would ever have known if it wasnt for my nosy and gossipy neighbor. He is out on the sidewalk talking to anyone and everyone about 'the chickens'. Like another poster, sounds like the neighborhood chicken police!!! I do declare. It is frustrating.

I got a warning. If there is another call it will be a $200 fine. This is only if someone complains. But whats there to complain about? Nothing! Other than the fact that they exist.

Tiramisu, that is seriously something I wish I could do. Unfortunately my deck is only about 12 to 18 inches high, and but its huge - about 20x40. My initial thought was to let the chickens live under there, but I quickly decided it was impossible because they'd probably be laying eggs everywhere, and it would be so hard to get them. *Sigh*. So I decided to go the garage route instead.

I'll be downstate next week and I'm thinking of giving two chickens away or butchering them and keeping the other two. My mother called city hall and asked them and they said no fowl despite what the laws say. I've checked both zoning and agricultural and animal laws and found nothing banning chickens. My girls are pretty quiet, but I think it'll be easier with a combination garage and chicken tractor to manage two friendly chickens as opposed to four, two of which are afraid of me (been trying to work on that as I need to clip their wings soon)

Michigan is a Right to Farm state. That means you have the right to earn a living from the land.
All you have to do is argue that you plan to sell the eggs from those four chickens (to make a living
wink.png
).

Quote:
It is my understanding of the right to farm act that you must be zoned for farming for that to be effective. It was designed to protect the farmer that was there before the 'new communities' were built. It was meant to protect old "Farmer Johnson" who has raised cows for fifty years, but new communities developed on land near him, has signed petitions to get rid of his cows-because the smell/sight is "lowering their property values".

I do not believe that the right to farm act would work for subdivisions not allowed livestock. If it were the case, anyone here could stick a cow in their backyard and say they were going to sell the milk.

Quote:
It is my understanding of the right to farm act that you must be zoned for farming for that to be effective. It was designed to protect the farmer that was there before the 'new communities' were built. It was meant to protect old "Farmer Johnson" who has raised cows for fifty years, but new communities developed on land near him, has signed petitions to get rid of his cows-because the smell/sight is "lowering their property values".

I do not believe that the right to farm act would work for subdivisions not allowed livestock. If it were the case, anyone here could stick a cow in their backyard and say they were going to sell the milk.

Here is the definition of "farm":

(a) “Farm” means the land, plants, animals, buildings, structures, including ponds used for agricultural or aquacultural activities, machinery, equipment, and other appurtenances used in the commercial production of farm products.

I can't see a definition that includes zoning as a requirement to be a farm.

It also states:

(6) Beginning June 1, 2000, except as otherwise provided in this section, it is the express legislative intent that this act preempt any local ordinance, regulation, or resolution that purports to extend or revise in any manner the provisions of this act or generally accepted agricultural and management practices developed under this act. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a local unit of government shall not enact, maintain, or enforce an ordinance, regulation, or resolution that conflicts in any manner with this act or generally accepted agricultural and management practices developed under this act.

Back
Top Bottom