Chicken owner 1 year

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Do you know how they contracted botulism?
A raccoon had pulled away some of the netting from my covered run and a turkey vulture got in with some kind of dead rotting meat. The vulture freaked out cause it couldn't find its way out so it must have dropped some of the carcass. All 6 got sick.

Welcome. You can use syringe to give them water. Are you treating with anything? If you are within the first 48-hours, you can use Activated Charcoal: administer orally at 1 g/kg of body weight, twice a day. Another option, homeopathic is Carbo veg (30C for 1 dose) or Nux vomica (30C for 1 dose)

https://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Vegetabilis-Homeopathic-Medicine-Bloating/dp/B00028NZ0M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=32W6MAHXO1H5F&keywords=carbo+veg&qid=1685723874&rdc=1&sprefix=carbo+veg,aps,184&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFQQzFHU0hYMU9YTlomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzODk1MjkzNFQyVElXRkdSSTkmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDM1MTkwOTMyMzQ2SDdCNEtXOEMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Last edited:
Welcome. You can use syringe to give them water. Are you treating with anything? If you are within the first 48-hoursyou have use Activated Charcoal: administer orally at 1 g/kg of body weight, twice a day. Another option, homeopathic is Carbo veg (30C for 1 dose) or Nux vomica (30C for 1 dose)

https://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Vegetabilis-Homeopathic-Medicine-Bloating/dp/B00028NZ0M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=32W6MAHXO1H5F&keywords=carbo+veg&qid=1685723874&rdc=1&sprefix=carbo+veg,aps,184&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFQQzFHU0hYMU9YTlomZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzODk1MjkzNFQyVElXRkdSSTkmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDM1MTkwOTMyMzQ2SDdCNEtXOEMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Well, the article on how to treat botulism says do not give anything orally because of the paralysis. However, yesterday, the 2nd hen started opening her eyes and started walking as well as drinking again. She even roosted. The 3rd one is still paralyzed and her eyes are closed. However, she did manage to drink today when guided to the water. Thankfully she is now able to hold her head up. She still can't stand and has trouble balancing in an upright position. But I believe her paralysis is wearing off and I think she will recover. Thanks for your input. I appreciate all the helpful hints from all the marvelous people in this community!

Well, the article on how to treat botulism says do not give anything orally because of the paralysis. However, yesterday, the 2nd hen started opening her eyes and started walking as well as drinking again. She even roosted. The 3rd one is still paralyzed and her eyes are closed. However, she did manage to drink today when guided to the water. Thankfully she is now able to hold her head up. She still can't stand and has trouble balancing in an upright position. But I believe her paralysis is wearing off and I think she will recover. Thanks for your input. I appreciate all the helpful hints from all the marvelous people in this community!
The information I gave you was from poultrydvm.com

Back
Top Bottom