Chicken paralyzed - possibly with fear?

HennaRose

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Florida
Edit: The chicken died. Apparently her chances were not very good. We buried her because she was a pet and not food. I don't know how to delete the thread.

So here's the background info. Bianca is a 6-month-old Leghorn who appears healthy. I'm keeping her confined at the moment to hopefully knock her down a few pegs because she's been bullying and pecking the other chickens. She's been inside because I'm still working on an outdoors quarantine coop for her.

My four-year-old has decided that the chicken is lonely and keeps going into my bathroom to play with the chicken. This hasn't seemed to affect the bird any, so I've been keeping an eye on them but otherwise everything seems to be okay. We have dogs and a cat, so I've been keeping my bedroom door shut.

Today, I locked the chicken in my bathroom and Little Miss and I both went outside to do some garden work. She went back inside to go to the bathroom (she uses the hall bathroom because it has a toddler toilet seat) and I followed about ten minutes later. Apparently my daughter has learned how to unlock my bathroom door, because I came back in and saw Bianca slumped down in the hallway on a blanket panting. She won't stand up, she won't flap, she won't anything. I took her back into the bathroom and set her on a towel in the shower with her food and water dishes near. She'll stand for a few seconds, but then she collapses again. She's still panting.

I don't know what happened in the ten minutes between the time Little Miss went in and the time I went in, but there appear to be no physical injuries that I can see to the bird. There are no feathers around the house and none noticeably missing from the bird. I don't know if one of the dogs got to her (I doubt it was the cat, he's scared of her since she pecked him for sniffing too close) or what.

I've been checking on her every 15 minutes or so and there appears to be no improvement. She's been no worse every time I've checked on her, but no better either. What are her chances of recovering if it's shock/fear at this age? (The last time the dogs attacked a chicken, the bird was only five weeks old and died of the shock.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom