Chicken pecking other Chicken

Mr Potatoes

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2016
Hello! The past couple days, I've noticed that one of my hens has started pecking at another hen, around the face. The hen that is being pecked at was being broody, and I'm still trying to break that. They're about the same size and appearance. It is pretty cold where I live, so I've had them inside more than usual. The coop dimensions are roughly about 5 by 6 (feet). This worries me because whenever I try to get the hen to move out of the box to get some food/water, she gets pecked at. Does anyone know what's going on, and/or how to stop it? Thanks!

Yes, it is the pecking order but lets not forget cannibalism is a big problem in flocks.

There are many "Boredom Busters" for chickens.This will keep the other chickens busy and will decrease fighting by a little.You can hang a cabbage,Give them a dust bath area.

Put some straw outside of the coop and they will go out.

Yesterday two of my hens, who are about six, started fighting with each other like when roosters fight each other. They were clucking at each other and both of their heads were covered in blood, with just shallow wounds on the comb. The one that seemed to be being picked on by the other has been broody lately. Is this the pecking order too?

Last edited:
Hello! The past couple days, I've noticed that one of my hens has started pecking at another hen, around the face. The hen that is being pecked at was being broody, and I'm still trying to break that. They're about the same size and appearance. It is pretty cold where I live, so I've had them inside more than usual. The coop dimensions are roughly about 5 by 6 (feet). This worries me because whenever I try to get the hen to move out of the box to get some food/water, she gets pecked at. Does anyone know what's going on, and/or how to stop it? Thanks!
Still open up the coop to the run and allow them out.......Put some straw down in the run to walk on.....Stress causes pecking as does boredom.......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom