Chicken pecking the other chicken

teisharocz

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 30, 2016
Hi everyone.

I have a flock of 4 Ladies for 3 years now and yesterday I noticed one of the hen keeps pecking the other very aggressively pulling out feathers. I could not find any injuries but the pecking will not stop. Even after separating them, the hen will follow the other walking along the fence, trying to get to her.

I'm assuming they are establishing an order? How can I be sure? Also, I would just let them at it but I'm afraid of the chicken being killed. It's only the one doing the pecking though. The others stay out of it.

What can I do? Or should I do nothing? Keep them seperate a few days?

Thank you, Teisha

Hi everyone.

I have a flock of 4 Ladies for 3 years now and yesterday I noticed one of the hen keeps pecking the other very aggressively pulling out feathers. I could not find any injuries but the pecking will not stop. Even after separating them, the hen will follow the other walking along the fence, trying to get to her.

I'm assuming they are establishing an order? How can I be sure? Also, I would just let them at it but I'm afraid of the chicken being killed. It's only the one doing the pecking though. The others stay out of it.

Thank you, Teisha

I have this problem sometimes with my guineas attacking my turkey. Its usually just establishing a pecking order and showing them who is in charge. Sometimes if they get bored or dont have much they will start attacking each other. Another thing that might be causing this is stress. Their could be something that is trying to attack them at night or things like not enough food or feeders. sometimes if they are attacking one spot there is a pick-no-more poultry lotion. It is purple and gives off a smell and taste that deters them from pecking. Chickens like pecking things that are red so if theres a spot that is red on the chicken the lotion can cover that up to deter them from it.

Hi everyone.

Thank you, Teisha
Are your birds molting?
That can send tempers high and reset the pecking order.
I'd remove the bully for a time out, in a crate in the coop or run.

Yes they are molting. I since realized that they are only pecking at each other when inside the run. Once I let them out to roam they are occupied. I just thought it was weird since I've had them for so long now and wasn't sure what could have caused that behavior. This makes sense now, thank you!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom