Chicken penicillin dosage

Just another update. We just gave her the last injection for this cycle. How long should we wait before we start again, if she does not improve? How long should it take for the antibiotics to kick in? This is our 6th day.

We let her outside for a bit to exercise when it is warm enough. She drinks from puddles and from the hose nozzle, but won't touch the water in her dish. She'll eat a little crushed up hard boiled egg, but not much. She is VERY sleepy since we started the injections.

She is still responsive, but fluffed up, and just looks sad.

Is there anything else I can feed her to keep her going?

Thank you!

I wouldn't give Penicillin any more. It should have already done whatever good it will by now.

I'd give her a little probiotics daily via buttermilk, unsweetened yogurt or a probiotic supplement daily to rebuild the "good" bacteria in her system.

There is a list of many useful meds on the site linked in my sig, if you think she might need something additional.

On the "Fungal Infections" page, there are also suggestions for good foods to feed a sick bird.

Praying for her & you
smile.png

Thanks for your help. The runt of our flock just LOVES garlic, so I am hoping this bird will eat some, too. The page mentioned offering fish- would canned tuna be OK? I do have some tilapia in the freezer. Raw or cooked?

Thanks for the prayers also. :)

Yes, we live in strange times when we have to be so careful about what we eat. Too bad we can't raise our own fish, too. I will check the package of fish in the freezer.

Thank you for your help. :)

Little Miss Chicken is doing much better. Drinking a LOT more, eating a bit here and there. Takes her time out in the yard, but settled in for a nice dust bath today (she found a spot where the dogs were digging for gophers!). Still a bit sleepy, but color is coming back to her comb and wattles and she is more responsive. :)

After SEVERAL changes, reversals and a lot of prayers, Miss Chicken is REALLY on the road to recovery! Eating, drinking on her own, and just starting to walk again (she is SO skinny!), but back to her plucky self again. I took this picture yesterday while she was out walking in the yard. You can see how pale her comb is, but she is back!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I appreciate having a place to go for good information from experienced people who care about their peeps. :)

Having to give antibiotics to this sweet girl. Dog attack ! Grrrr.
She's about a week out from the attack her wound is all dried up and looks good except for the green infection in her leg. Treating with shots. Just started today.

Having to give antibiotics to this sweet girl. Dog attack ! Grrrr.
She's about a week out from the attack her wound is all dried up and looks good except for the green infection in her leg. Treating with shots. Just started today.
Green tissue can be bruising in chickens, just in case that is what you are seeing. A picture would help. Here is a picture of green bruising:

LL

Back
Top Bottom