Chicken personality

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crusting, Oct 2, 2011.

1. crusting

crusting Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    Can you tell what a chicken's grown personality is going to be like by watching how they behave as a chick?

I have two 5 week old chicks. One seems more active and dominant than the other. Also, that same one chirps a lot more. Does that mean that she will be a noisy, active, dominant adult chicken?

Also, I have the two chicks in a cage inside the larger coop run during the day. I have two 2 year old chickens in the coop. They've been hanging out staring at the chicks a lot, but they have not tried pecking at them at all. They seem curious about them. They don't seem agressive at all. Do you think that will change when I let the chicks out of their protective cage? Or does this behavior predict how well the adults will accept the two little ones into the flock?

I'm curious what others have experienced! My two older chickens are very sweet and gentle with each other and with people. Wondering if they will be that way with the new chicks when they share their space.

Rusty (mom to 2 humans, 1 border collie, 2 goldfish, and 4 chickens: 1 Rhode Island Red, 2 Easter Eggers, and 1 Orpington)

2. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    My ten chicks were raised in a brooder box on my back porch and handled every day. We moved them to a coop at 5 weeks of age, and now they are about 2 months old.

No, I would never have been able to gauge their personalities as chicks with who they are now with the exception of one chick, Dr. Henny Henny, a gamehen, who has been outgoing and easily handled from the get-go and still is. She's the one who paces in the coop when she sees me, frantically, I might add...wanting me to come to her with treats.

My 5 EE's are a total mix of personalities. Even though one was really outgoing and aggressive as chick, she is now more standoffish. The one who has always been the most standoffish is now the lead hen to date and very forward for attention. The sweetest EE chick is now the flighty one.

My Marans were very docile as chicks, but very low in the pecking order with the 2 Welsummers, 1 Gamehen, and 5 EE's, but are lately very sweet.

My Welsummer hen is the most even-keeled and calm. She was that way as a chick.

We'll see when they are adults, but to answer your question, I did not have then pegged from the start.

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I have raised two sets of chicks four seperate times. In my experience and observation there is always one dominant one and the other was non-dominant.
    Duet 1
    Delaware - Dominant.
    Black Australorp - Non - dominant (though she was sassy)

Duet 2
    Golden Sex Link - Dominant
    Buckeye - Non-dominant

Duet 3
    Light Brahma - Dominant. This LB was surprisingly like a rooster in her personality. She has the best personality out of all my chickens, very unique.
    Buff Orpington - Non-dominant (not surprising, b/c BO's are a laid back breed)

Duet 4
    Silver Laced Wyandotte - Dominant
    Easter Egger - Non-dominant

The EE and the SLW aren't full grown yet. They are constantly 'play fighting'.

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I think its a good indicator, one that is up frount and curious remains so, a timid one will always be timid, the problems occur when hormones kick in and new behaviors come out.
    I think its good the chicks and older chickens can 'see' each other now, and get used to each other first...not to say there won't be a few little skirmishes, but will probbe less with your calm chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by