Chicken Pests

cbelcher

Hatching
Jun 11, 2019
I am raising my first set of chickens, born in April and about 5 months old now. My problem is, ever since I got them I have been bitten by some mysterious bugs I can't even see, especially when I try to hold them. I'm not finding any bugs on the chickens, but they sure like to bite me, leaving welts that last for days. Any idea what I might be up against and how to get rid of them? I have tried DE several times but it doesn't do much, and I clean the coop every day.

Sounds like it could possibly be mites. First you need to ID if that's the actual problem - there's 2 common types, and they're quite tiny, but here's what to look for: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

If you can confirm that mites are the issue, then depending on the type of mite (instructions below were written for NFM, red mites have a slightly different life cycle and you would want to primarily focus on treating coop over the birds):

For the coop - Clear out all the bedding. Burn it or otherwise bag up and dispose of it. Spray all surfaces (though I skipped the ceiling and top parts of wall though, because my coop peak is too tall) and crevices with liquid permethrin, including roost bars and nests. After it all dries, put in new bedding (I made sure to do my spraying early in the day, so it was mostly dry by late afternoon so the chickens could go back in).

For the chickens - Dust with permethrin powder or spray with liquid under belly, under wings, on back, around base of neck, around vent. If they're getting them on their heads (which you may see scabbing around comb or even eyes if it's bad), I'd carefully pat some around the base of the comb or just behind the head, but I wouldn't spray them directly in the face.

You'll need to treat again in around 7 to 10-ish days, as permethrin doesn't kill eggs. Recheck in another 7-10 days and if needed, treat again (but if it's a light or moderate infestation, that shouldn't be necessary).

If mite bites on you are an issue, or mites are getting into the house:

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol to spare, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom