Chicken Planning!

ElleKay

Hatching
Jul 18, 2018
Hi guys,
I'm moving house next year as we want somewhere with a lot more land, and we're planning on getting some chickens when we're settled in. I like to plan ahead, so I'm here to trawl through the archives and look for any information on how to get it all right from the start. My current quest is to work out whether starting from chicks, buying young chickens or finding some older rescue hens is the right choice.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Hi and welcome to BYC :welcome

Great idea doing your planning ahead - I spent 2 years reading before I got my chickens and still haven't got everything I want to sorted out how it should be (I'll get there!). I would say start small so you dont' get overwhelmed. I bought 3 laying hens at Christmas that were 5-7 weeks old and feathered so didn't need extra heat. For me this was a perfect way to introduce myself to chickens - no need for all the worry of tiny chicks / heating etc but they were still small enough that they were easy to handle (I was a bit scared of picking them up to start with - would have been scarier with big birds). It wasn't really a conscious decision but in hindsight it was the perfect way to do it. I later added 2 silkies to be my broodies and now have 14 chicks to the mix as well! So my answer would be young hens that don't need a brooder. I would say no to rescue hens for a newbie as I understand they come with a host of issues and I think you are better off getting a handle on being a chicken owner before taking on extra stuff!

Best of luck :frow

Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/website-announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

BYC Welcome 6.jpg

Hi, it's nice to have you here with us! As Pork Pie Ken mentions, the Learning Center is the best place to start...tons of info there that will be helpful to you.

Best of luck and always feel free to ask questions or ask for help (there are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members here)!

Hello and welcome ,
I too planned for awhile before diving in , I’d make sure coop and run are built and very secure before getting chicks. I’d recommend starting with chicks , then you can bond and they will learn to recognize your voice. I’ve gotten a few pullets ( chick, pullet, hen are their development stages) and we didn’t really bond and one actually seemed depressed , hid from me . I’m sure she missed her owner.

I bought chickens for dummy’s, I like the idea of having an actual book to highlight or write in.

Very exciting , enjoy the planning, it can be overwhelming !!

Back
Top Bottom