Chicken plucking her feathers out ?

I will get a pic tomorrow. One& one half years. The coop is 6x12, with outside runs. 16%protein egg layer & scratch grain & oyster shell. I'm sure she is cold at nite 25 degrees now.
Have you seen others picking her feathers? It's molting season and she is the right age for her first molt. Do you see pin feathers coming in on her? Try not to handle her but just look at her while she is roosted.
I would personally switch the flock over to Flock Raiser or All Flock or even a good chick starter with 18-20% protein. Feeding the minimum amount of protein is generally inadequate, especially when feeding treats. Molting birds and birds making eggs need more protein. I would also keep the scratch to no more than 1 handful a day.

Last edited:
Have you seen others picking her feathers? It's molting season and she is the right age for her first molt. Do you see pin feathers coming in on her? Try not to handle her but just look at her while she is roosted.
I would personally switch the flock over to Flock Raiser or All Flock or even a good chick starter with 18-20% protein. Feeding the minimum amount of protein is generally inadequate, especially when feeding treats. Molting birds and birds making eggs need more protein. I would also keep the scratch to no more than 1 handful a day.
This started 3 months ago when I had an aggressive rooster. I have had chickens for 10 years and never had a bird loose feathers like her! Yes some pin s are coming out, but she has spots of red skin on her back. My wife made up a mixture of oils, turned to paste that I smear on. (makes her skin red) All day she is picking all over her body, neck ,under wings. My chickens (8) don"t eat much Egg Layer, they prefer the Scratch Grain. All the feed is free choice. I have been looking at the All Flock at our Fleet Farm, wondering if I should feed that.

My chickens (8) don"t eat much Egg Layer, they prefer the Scratch Grain. All the feed is free choice. I have been looking at the All Flock at our Fleet Farm, wondering if I should feed that.
Free choice scratch is not good. I would stop that immediately. I would switch to All Flock with a container or two of oyster shell on the side free choice.
They will resist eating the complete feed for a while because they've been eating all that candy free choice. They will eventually eat it and get used to it. For the time being I would completely stop giving them any scratch. It is not a complete feed and giving it free choice will dilute their total protein intake significantly.
Have you checked her over for lice or mites? Can you post pictures of her skin? And her bald patches?

Free choice scratch is not good. I would stop that immediately. I would switch to All Flock with a container or two of oyster shell on the side free choice.
They will resist eating the complete feed for a while because they've been eating all that candy free choice. They will eventually eat it and get used to it. For the time being I would completely stop giving them any scratch. It is not a complete feed and giving it free choice will dilute their total protein intake significantly.
Have you checked her over for lice or mites? Can you post pictures of her skin? And her bald patches?
Hello, these are pics of my chickens, you can see which one is picking her feathers. Like I said earlier, I never had a bird lose its feathers like this, I 've had 15 chickens in the past 13 years. Do some breeds molt more than others? Let me know if I am doing something wrong with my posting.

Attachments

• IMG_6627.JPG
    IMG_6627.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6628.JPG
    IMG_6628.JPG
    666.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6629.JPG
    IMG_6629.JPG
    707.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6632.JPG
    IMG_6632.JPG
    668.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6635.JPG
    IMG_6635.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6636.JPG
    IMG_6636.JPG
    794.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6637.JPG
    IMG_6637.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Hello, these are pics of my chickens, you can see which one is picking her feathers. Like I said earlier, I never had a bird lose its feathers like this, I 've had 15 chickens in the past 13 years. Do some breeds molt more than others? Let me know if I am doing something wrong with my posting.
That hen is moulting. She's covered in pin feathers. Now is a great time to ensure the flock is receiving a complete feed with 18-20% protein and no more than a handful of treats a day. You can also offer a can of cat food or tuna twice a week to boost protein to help grow strong healthy new feathers.

That hen is moulting. She's covered in pin feathers. Now is a great time to ensure the flock is receiving a complete feed with 18-20% protein and no more than a handful of treats a day. You can also offer a can of cat food or tuna twice a week to boost protein to help grow strong healthy new feathers.
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom