Chicken Pool?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aidenbaby, Apr 20, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think this is where this question would go because I'm still in the "design" phase of the chicken run. It gets pretty hot here and while it isn't as hot as other places in the country I was think about putting some sort of chicken pool (buried shallow dishpan or something). Do you think they would use it as a pool in the summer?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I doubt that chickens will swim or play in the water, but mine will climb on the plants in the pond, getting their feet wet.

Imp

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    good question...i'm not sure they would use it though.....i know people use frozen 2-liter soda bottles and the chickens lay on them...my coop is in the shade and i have a fan running in their coop when it gets to hot here...ooh, they also have those mister things...you hook them up to a hose and it keeps them misted with cool water....that might work better becaue i dont think they would lay in the water....just drink it and make it poopy.. [​IMG] good luck!

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Chickens don't swim, so no need to add a pool.

If you want to keep them cool in the summer, provide plenty of shade and a good place where they can dig in the nice cool dirt. [​IMG]

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Most chickens generally don't like to get wet. They do like to roll in moist soil and wet grass, but no swimming. However... one of my friends has a bird that will only drink water when she's standing waist deep in it, in the summer time. She's an odd chicken.

6. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    My plan was to get shadecloth later in the summer, plant sunflowers along the southern side (just out of reach), and probably offer the "pool" just in case my chicks are crazy. If they don't use it, that's fine but it may still help keep the air slightly cooler (or not) around it.

7. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:web foot envy. it's a fashion statement.

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    when it gets hot here I spray water on the ground and it makes puddles and they walk in it. anything deep and they could drown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by