Chicken poop and blood

shawna1234

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2020
Hi! So I found a tiny drop of blood in one of my chicks poop this morning. It was only in one poop and very small but I wanted to know what my next course of action should be. They are 13-15 weeks old and are still on medicated chick crumble.

Attachments

• 28A43238-D3F1-4D0D-99E3-CFEA56D15656.jpeg
    28A43238-D3F1-4D0D-99E3-CFEA56D15656.jpeg
    863.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi! So I found a tiny drop of blood in one of my chicks poop this morning. It was only in one poop and very small but I wanted to know what my next course of action should be. They are 13-15 weeks old and are still on medicated chick crumble.
How do the chicks act?

It does look like it may be intestinal shed, but I would monitor them for any symptoms of lethargy, not eating/drinking, puffed up appearance. If you notice more like that, then it won't hurt to treat with Corid.

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

How do the chicks act?

It does look like it may be intestinal shed, but I would monitor them for any symptoms of lethargy, not eating/drinking, puffed up appearance. If you notice more like that, then it won't hurt to treat with Corid.

Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Don't add anything else to the water except for Corid.

thank you! Right now they are eating like pigs and I have them in their chicken tractor. They are dust bathing and foraging around for the dried meal worms I threw in the grass. I’m going to go to tractor supply and get the liquid corridor just in case, but wait to treat since they are acting fine.
If I did treat, do I make a new gallon of the medicated water daily? Or can I leave the one in there? I’m asking because I only have 4 chicks so a gallon won’t be gone in a day :) u
I usually still change it every other day so I can clean the whole waterer anyway

thank you! Right now they are eating like pigs and I have them in their chicken tractor. They are dust bathing and foraging around for the dried meal worms I threw in the grass. I’m going to go to tractor supply and get the liquid corridor just in case, but wait to treat since they are acting fine.
If I did treat, do I make a new gallon of the medicated water daily? Or can I leave the one in there? I’m asking because I only have 4 chicks so a gallon won’t be gone in a day :) u
I usually still change it every other day so I can clean the whole waterer anyway
It is reccomended to change out the corid daily, but as far as I know every other day will not hurt. One thing to add, it will NOT hurt the hens if you treat them and they are not sick.

It is reccomended to change out the corid daily, but as far as I know every other day will not hurt. One thing to add, it will NOT hurt the hens if you treat them and they are not sick.
Thank you SO much for your responses!!!

No Problem! Glad to help, especially because I remember lookin up the same questions. :)

I did read about it all on google but I love the advice on this blog and tend to trust real life experiences over google. It’s almost like there is too much information out there

You can mix a whole gallon and store the excess in the fridge or just mix up a quart or 1/2 gallon at time...depends on your water station I suppose.

I would probably change the water a couple of times a day if possible. I would put out "fresh" at least once a day.

It's good practice to provide fresh drinking water daily to begin with. Wash water stations at least once a week.

Back
Top Bottom