Chicken POOP management for free range?

Feather Fluff

Chirping
Jan 1, 2021
Ok people! I love this community and it has saved me many times in my newbie ways so I'm here with a question again. Our flock is 5 silkie free range hens.

They are in coop and run about 12 hours a day and free range throughout the day in the yard (grass). We live in the desert so the grass gets watered 2x a day due to dryness.

How in the world do you manage poop in grass? Is there a special secret? There's 700sqft grass

I don't free range, but small amounts of poop in grass would vanish promptly just like the wild bird droppings and the deer droppings.

These probably help:

0524211122c.jpg

This is the world's bravest beetle, having gone into the run to get a dung ball and roll it out through the electric fence without being eaten by a chicken!

I don't free range, but small amounts of poop in grass would vanish promptly just like the wild bird droppings and the deer droppings.

These probably help:

View attachment 2835716

This is the world's bravest beetle, having gone into the run to get a dung ball and roll it out through the electric fence without being eaten by a chicken!
This is helpful

These probably help:

View attachment 2835716

This is helpful thank you! So basically my yard won't turn into poop?

This is helpful

This is helpful thank you! So basically my yard won't turn into poop?

If you aren't so very arid as to have the natural processes of decay stopped by the mummifying dryness and have enough land for the poop to be well-spread out it shouldn't be a significant problem.

Ok people! I love this community and it has saved me many times in my newbie ways so I'm here with a question again. Our flock is 5 silkie free range hens.

They are in coop and run about 12 hours a day and free range throughout the day in the yard (grass). We live in the desert so the grass gets watered 2x a day due to dryness.

How in the world do you manage poop in grass? Is there a special secret? There's 700sqft grass
I'm going to disagree with some of the other folks - 700 SF is not that much space in terms of spreading out the poop! My six banties free range in a mostly-grass space about 50% larger than yours. I pick up poop every day - it would be a poopy mess if I didn't! It doesn't take much time and gives us a chance to "talk". I use an extra windshield scraper to scrape it onto a kittie litter scoop, put it in a small bucket, and dump the bucket in the compost bin when it's full.

Can you please explain this process? Maybe it's straight forward but I might be missing something. No, it isn't much space imo to ignore it. With their sand area, about 120 sq ft, it's easy to pick up the poop with a rake sifter and it takes about 3 minutes. I put the picture. But, with wet grass? How exactly are you scraping? Do you just hunt down the poops in the grass?
I'm going to disagree with some of the other folks - 700 SF is not that much space in terms of spreading out the poop! My six banties free range in a mostly-grass space about 50% larger than yours. I pick up poop every day - it would be a poopy mess if I didn't! It doesn't take much time and gives us a chance to "talk". I use an extra windshield scraper to scrape it onto a kittie litter scoop, put it in a small bucket, and dump the bucket in the compost bin when it's full.
You pl

31YNL6dlvrS._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom