chicken poop neutralizers

rocky007

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 9, 2010
hi all

I have finally finished my new chicken coop and will be moving all the chickens into their new run. My question is how to get my yard back to pre-chicken condition.
It's a big yard but there is alot of poop that I would like to neutralize rather than let nature take its course. Any suggestions? The yard is a mix of riverrock and
what used to be a lawn.

Thanks for any help!

I'm not sure how much poop you are talking about, but I would think a combination of raking heavy concentrations and hosing the rest into the ground would help a lot.

I'll rent you my two dogs. They love chicken poop and should have your yard cleaned up in a snap!
tongue.png

Spray down the river rock with a hose end sprayer that puts out a focused jet. Rake/mow, then spray or use the sprinkler on the lawn. I've been doing this on the side walks and grass areas. It works great.

thanks for the input. Was wondering if there was natural enzyme or chemical that might work.

I would top dress with well-finished compost to encourage any remaining poop to breakdown and help prevent all that nitrogen from burning the roots of whatever lawn you have left. Definitely no fertilizer, you'll only make things worse. Set your mower setting as high as possible this summer so you shade out any weeds that might try and get established in the bare spots. This fall you might reapply compost and over-seed. If there are any compacted areas these could be aerated or plugged. By this time next year all of the chicken litter should be well broken down, the seeds sprouting and you will probably have the best looking lawn on the block.

Back
Top Bottom