Chicken poop

EggHead107

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
Hello everyone I do not know how to start a thread without going to the new member link so I just have to keep asking questions like I am a new member but anyways, I noticed that my donkey and my horse both threw up today. I am wondering if it is the chicken poop in my pasture. I throw all of the poop in my coop into the pasture and I am wondering if that is harming my farm animals. If it is what am I supposed to do with my chicken poop. I do not have a compost pile or I do not know how to make one. HELP!!!!

AND IF ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT DONKEY AND HORSES WHY ARE THEY THROWING UP??

Hi! You can post in Other Pets and Livestock. At the top left under the red title there is a blue button that says start a new thread.

Here is an article about composting. It is not ideal to throw raw chicken manure into the pasture without composting it first, there can be bad stuff in there like salmonella. However, if it is composted, the high temperatures will have killed the bad organisms, so it will safe for the horses as well as good for the pasture.

Horses are physically unable to throw up, the valve to their stomach is too strong to allow any regurgitation. However, a horse choking can look like it is throwing up. What are they throwing up and is it coming out of their nose as well? Choking is commonly caused by a large chunk of feed they have not properly chewed, so it gets lodged in the esophagus. You would see bits of feed coming out of their nose and mouth. If this is happening, Please call a vet quickly, as the horse will have to be intubated to remove the blockage and it is very easy to develop pneumonia. Edited because I forgot to add that if it is choke, keep the horse calm and keep their head down until the vet gets there. That will help prevent the foodstuff from going into their lungs, which is how they contract pneumonia. Here is an article about choke.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom