Chicken Poops

Geckolady

Counting Chickens B4 They're Hatched
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
I have a chicken health question. About a week ago, I noticed a partially liquid stool in the coop with a few drops of blood in it. Then things went back to normal, and today I saw another one. Several days ago I saw one of the girls pass a semiformed, yellowish stool. Other than that, the poops have been normal. Could it be the food? They are acting normally, scratching and pecking and eating.

How old are the chickens? Pictures are welcome. Chickens with coccidiosis or worms can sometimes have blood in the droppings. Occasionally intestinal lining shed can appear as stringy orangey red tissue in stools. For coccidiosis, Corid or amprollium in the water is a good treatment. For worms, Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good. Here is one person’s opinion about certain poops:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

How old are the chickens? Pictures are welcome. Chickens with coccidiosis or worms can sometimes have blood in the droppings. Occasionally intestinal lining shed can appear as stringy orangey red tissue in stools. For coccidiosis, Corid or amprollium in the water is a good treatment. For worms, Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good. Here is one person’s opinion about certain poops:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
They're under a year old, and have not been exposed to other chickens since I bought them late last October. I'm not seeing any worms in their stools, and from the pictures, these poops are not that runny.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the bottom of this bag of food smells just a little off. I think I'll toss it and try a fresh bag. I will upload pictures in a few minutes--live out in the boonies and internet is slow and cuts out a lot, especially when I need it.

OK, I just took these pictures. They seem bright and healthy enough. If you look closely, there are little spots of blood in the stool, but it's dried a bit since I saw it, so it's harder to see.
20210319_103304.jpg
20210319_103326.jpg

Looser, creamier poops are often cecal poops, they happen several times a day, with regular droppings in between. Color and consistency can vary depending on the diet of the birds. If you are seeing bright red blood, then I would suggest you get a fecal done to check for any internal parasites.

Looser, creamier poops are often cecal poops, they happen several times a day, with regular droppings in between. Color and consistency can vary depending on the diet of the birds. If you are seeing bright red blood, then I would suggest you get a fecal done to check for any internal parasites.

Thanks. It's not bright red blood, just reddish brown. The next time this happens, I'll collect some to get a fecal. It's dried now. I saw this today, and maybe a week ago, too. Just a worried novice here. :)

Back
Top Bottom