Chicken proof rat traps ???

tri-5-ron

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Orange County
Just wanting some feedback on an idea I have.

Naturally, when I/we have a large feeder hanging in the pen, and another inside the coop, it will be, (and IS), a rat attractant.
I have noticed Rat droppings inside the coop, and also have seen, on occaision, a rat at night around the pen, on the fence, or getting the dogs all riled up and barking.

Although I would enjoy being able to sit out each night with my magnum powered, (Air), pellet rifle, and dropping them off one by one, ...
That is just not a very sure fire way of getting them.
(and besides,... if I tried to convince my wife that I wanted a Night Vision Scope, to mount on top of my pellet gun, she just might think I've fallen off the Turnip Truck, and bumped my head !)
also there is the issue of them, (the rats), not being there when I am,... or missed shots,.... or looking like some sort of night time villan/vigilante to the neighbors.
I don't need to be explaining to the Police, why I am sitting in the darkness with what looks like a Sniper/Deer Rifle !

SOOOoooooo,.....
what I'm thinking is,....

to build a plywood box with a hinged lid.
Maybe 24"wide x 24"long x 8" or 10" tall.

Then in one or two of the sides, have a hole maybe 2" to 3" in diameter. (something a rat can easily go through, but a chicken can not get into)
Then putting in a bunch (5, 6, 8 ), of baited snap traps inside the box, and far enough back from the "Rat openings", so that a chicken cant get their head in and near a trap.
maybe even screw the traps down to the bottom of the box, so they can't accidentally get pushed near the opening.

With a hinged and latched lid on the box, the chickens would be safe from the traps, yet a rat could easily get insie to find his fate, and meet his maker !!!
The lid would allow me access to collect any dead rats, re-set, and re-bait the traps, and it (when closed/latched) would prevent the chickens from getting near the traps.

I think this might be an effective way of having safe, nonpoisionous, 24/7 rat protection, both in the pen, and even inside the coop.

so what do you guys think ?
would this work well, or,...

Should I start cruising EBAY for a Night Vision Scope, w/ Laser sight ???
A Ghillie Suit,... and some Camo Face-Paint ?????

I don't like rats !

Quote:
Ok, I've though about that,...
But what if a chicken sticks it's head inside ???

That's my whole reasoning behind putting the traps, (snap type or Electric),...
inside a larger box.
To prevent any possibility of the chickens getting near the danger zone.

Last edited:
you can use a regular snap trap baited with peanut butter. Set the trap and place a milk crate over the set trap, then place a brick or something very heavy on the crate. Rats go in, but won't come out AND you don't have to worry about a chicken stepping on the trap.

OK, now I KNOW I will be trying out the box Idea.
I just went out to the backyard and my dogs were going nuts!

I approached the coop/pen, and at least 10 or more rats were climbing all over the top of the pen.
Obviously I had startled them from a feeding frenzy.
This has got to STOP!

My daughter goes out each night to close the pop door once the chickens have gone in to roost.
I can not chance her getting bitten by a rat.

I want Instant results, with Massive Casualities and Body Counts!
I want them ALL DEAD NOW !

any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Well Tonight the war begins.
although I did not yet build my "chicken proof/safe box" I am declaring an all out E-rat-ication of the new residents.

IMG_1528.jpg

I went out around midnight last night and the rats were in full force all over the pen.
They were running up and down the chain that holds the large feeder, and having a regular feasting party.

So I locked up the large outside feeder, inside the coop, when we put the chickens to bed tonight.
below the chain, I placed a multi-catch type trap, baited and wound up.

If this thing is effective, I will be starting a "Rat's Water Conditioning Program, and Swimming Lessons,where we will be teaching them to tread water.
I don't expect to have any of the new "Students" completing the first session, or progressing to the second class lecture.

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

Next to that, I placed 5 large snap traps, baited, and set with "Hair Triggers".

IMG_1529.jpg

Additionally, I went on ebay and purchased a case of 8 "Tomcat" snap traps, that should be here in a few days.

Earlier today, I fine tuned the sighting in, on the air rifle scope,...
put in new batteries in the barrel mounted flashlight,...
and bought some Match Grade-Hollow Point Pellets.

gotta stop typing now,....

Gonna go put on my Ghillie suit and Camo Face Paint

Does anybody know who Carlos Hathcock was ???

It's Game ON !!!

Last edited:
Keep us posted, I have the same problem and "caught" one of our 5week old chicks across both legs (and somehow unharmed) in a rat snap-trap. I have tried the hav-a-hart trap but it has not worked so far.

Carlos Hathcock (May 20, 1942 – February 23, 1999) was a United States Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant sniper with a service record of 93 confirmed kills. Hathcock's record and the extraordinary details of the missions he undertook made him a legend in the Marine Corps. His fame as a sniper and his dedication to long distance shooting led him to become a major developer of the United States Marine Corps Sniper training program. He was honored by having a rifle named after him: a variant of the M21 dubbed the Springfield Armory M25 White Feather.

Sorry, I'm an old Army gunbunny.......
wink.png

Hopefully you have the "Hathcock sense"...happy hunting!!

Back
Top Bottom