Chicken pulling out her own feathers

More protein, not calcium is helpful if it's molting. She could be pulling her own feathers or the others could due to stressors like the amount of space they have, feed, boredom, jerkiness.
The space isnt an issue they free range daily all day. I cant even tell you thr amout but alot like alot i did switch to a new feed so i wonder if its that ive never fed them this feed. Ill switch to the old feed again. And it could be boredom but i think its her because i seperated her and found feathers litering her cage the next morning. I have noticed a coupld other chickens dropping feathers all of a sudden everyday their seems to be more feathers but their not all from her. Shes just the onlyone ive seen bleeding.

Was she a chick when you got her? Younger birds do go through juvenile molts as well. They are not always quite as noticeable as the yearly molt, but it can be a hard molt. Are any of your other birds loosing feathers? What is their coop set up like? What are you feeding them? Also take a close look for any type of bugs on her.
Ive looked for bugs and saw none. She was a baby chick when i got her from meyer hatcheries. And their coops a 5 by 5 with a 5 by 12 run but they have free run access everyday all day. And im feeding them a layer blend from a new feed store this is their first bag of it. So im wondering if it cpuld be that. I think ill swich them back to their old feed. I also added in oyster shells into this mix and wonder if that could be it too. So ivere seperated everything for now. And im gonna see if that helps. Also gonna add in someboredom busters like pumpkins, and hanging cabbage.

Back
Top Bottom