chicken raised for food and cancer

sirensmyst

Hatching
Jan 17, 2016
I joined a little co-op today. The family buys and raises chickens for the group as a food source. They are free range, and eat well...and seem to be really healthy. I helped clean and dress about 100 today. Two of the chickens had cardiac tamponade (fluid around the heart in the sack) and the one I took home had a horrible looking tumor in the breast at the bone. I have a picture and video. Is this a normal occurrence in 100 chickens and I just got lucky? I have to admit it set me back a little.
Anyone with any info?

I joined a little co-op today. The family buys and raises chickens for the group as a food source. They are free range, and eat well...and seem to be really healthy. I helped clean and dress about 100 today. Two of the chickens had cardiac tamponade (fluid around the heart in the sack) and the one I took home had a horrible looking tumor in the breast at the bone. I have a picture and video. Is this a normal occurrence in 100 chickens and I just got lucky? I have to admit it set me back a little.
Anyone with any info?
I am with you. Is this a normal occurence ?
Would you post here when you find the correct forum.
Thank you.

If they're Cornish Cross birds that's not at all unusual, at least the fluid issues. That's why they're considered a self terminating cross. 1% with a tumor doesn't sound too out of line.

Back
Top Bottom