Chicken raiser from the Philippines

-BYC-sign-flash.gif
I have noticed that everything in the EU, and USA are larger that they should be. (its not healthy to be too big) Welcome! :D

Hey I'm in the Philippines, too! What is your favorite native breed for egg production? I know the foreign breeds are more productive, but I'm wondering how native breeds fare.
Native breeds are not good for egg production. The only advantage of native breeds is they are strong against viruses. I have Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, and Light Sussex. I want other heritage breeds but the shipping of eggs is nearly impossible.

Native breeds are not good for egg production. The only advantage of native breeds is they are strong against viruses. I have Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, and Light Sussex. I want other heritage breeds but the shipping of eggs is nearly impossible.
Sounds like quite the flock! I think I saw a Jersey Giant advertised on Facebook once and I've seen silkies there as well a few times. It seems Rhode Island Reds are the most popular by far followed by Australorps and Barred Plymouth Rocks.

Yes, RIR, BA, and BPR are the most popular plus Buff Orpington and Light Sussex. There are some who advertise silkies but I have no interest in small and display birds at all. I have a plan to run my own hatchery when the pandemic is over and this is the reason why I want pure breeds and other breeds that are not yet popular here. My neighbour who supposed to return home from California was supposed to bring me a hundred eggs but the plan changed because of covid. Selling hatching eggs and chicks of heritage breeds here is a booming business among chicken raisers, and if you have a good line of breeds, you're few steps ahead.

In addition to native chickens, they are excellent at incubating and brooding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom