Chicken rear end is all wet (vs fluffy)

BattenkillHens

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Hi,
This is my first time posting, I would appreciate any ideas for one of my hens. The girls are just over a year and one has a wet rear end and her feathers are all "matted". I looks like the poop is building up.

She's eating well and is cruising around, but certainly looks uncomfortable.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
Happy in Vermont

Hi,

If her behind is matted, I would capture her when she's on the roost and bring her inside and take a wet warm wash cloth and clean her behind real good.
It may make her up-set while you're cleaning but, it need's to be done.
I think if you get all that dried poop cleaned off, she will feel and look better.

Do you have dirt available for the bird's to bath in ?
My bird's roll around for hours in the dirt and that gets their behind clean and get's rid of mites and fleas.
Try that and let us know what's up...........GoodLuck !

very important that you get her cleaned up..it will draw flies and flies lay eggs..maggots..

what all do you feed?
how old is she?
is she laying?
describe the droppings..color and consistency..
check well for mites.

You can soak her butt in warm water too, probably be easier on her than pulling it out with a wash cloth. Just be sure to dry her off well or if you are in the south this week-skip this step!

Thank you for your advice. They get into the dirt and fluff up as well as run around the yard (supervised now since the veggie garden is in).

They are just over a year old and the poops look good. Can't tell if she's laying but we get about 6-9 eggs a day from 9 hens.

I feed them layer pellets and they get veggie scraps. They absolutely beg for some cracked corn but I try to limit it. It's been warm and wet lately so I'm concerned about the outdoor pen being too wet.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom