Chicken Recidivism

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smkchick, Oct 17, 2011.

1. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Gladys spent 3 days in solitary confinement last week to try to break her tree-sleeping habit. She was reprieved on Saturday, spent the day free-ranging in the yard and then promptly headed back to the tree at 4pm.

Following the suggestions of many, I promptly revoked her bail and put her back in the coop. Today was Day 2.

Keep your collective fingers crossed that she is rehabilitated and not a career criminal!

[​IMG]

2. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Consider my fingers crossed for you and Gladys! We currently have one girl out on parole after serving a month of nights in chicken jail for egg eating (we had a forage-release policy and let her out after everyone else's eggs were laid and collected). She seems to have realized the error of her ways, but we keep an eye out just in case.

3. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    As a reward for her good behavior, I'm getting her a companion. And in another coupla weeks the chicks will join them both in the coop.

Now just pray that Gladys doesn't teach them all her bad habits. My luck she's a ring leader!

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:You could have an organized crime ring on your hands. [​IMG]

5. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Hmmm. The thought will give me nightmares for weeks!
    [​IMG]

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I had made a "chicken jail" once.Maybe try that.

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I don't know what your situation is, but my flock of 7 BRs slept in a tree in the middle of the yard for nearly 2 years (we had hawks, owls, raccoons and possums).

Chickens are smarter than we give them credit for. If she wants to sleep in a tree, what's the problem?

8. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    One problem is racoons. Another is owls. But the worst is neighbors. She sometimes comes down on the wrong side of the fence! I know she survived in the "wild" for the better part of her life, but I'm doing my best to keep her safe now. Of course, if she doesn't get the hint, there isn't much I can do about it. If I felt she were suffering, I wouldn't keep her in the coop. But I figured it was worth a shot for the peace of mind.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by