Chicken recovered after dog attack but not laying

Pauliemac

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2020
Australia
Hi All,

My 8 month old Rhode Island Red hen was attacked by a dog about 4 weeks ago and after a couple of weeks inside and separated from the flock so the roosters would leave her alone with me tending to her wounds she was reunited with her friends and has been looking normal for 2 weeks with the rest of them. After the initial attack she layed 1 normal egg the same day and 1 egg with a very soft shell the next day. Since then (about 4 weeks) no eggs from her. The injury area is almost fully healed now and the area of missing feathers has all new pointy stubby feather sprouting out vigorously. Any ideas when /if she'll lay again or if there is something else I should be doing to aid her recovery?

I should also add that she was leaking whiteish/yellowish stuff from her vent after in attack which I assumed was vent gleet so I added some apple cider vinegar to her water and regularly cleaned the area. Its cleared up now also.

Thanks very much for any comments.

Paul

She could still be internally healing, therefor stopping her abilities to make and lay eggs. That's just my opinion, I would think she should go back to laying eggs again real soon.

Wouldn't be surprised if the first few she lays aren't very good quality, she might have to work out a few kinks to go back to normal.

Just an update.

She started laying again last Friday which was 5 weeks to the day since the dog attack. The first egg was normal looking just on the small side compared to her sister of the same age. So all back to normal apart from a few missing feathers still.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom