Chicken refuses to walk, maybe poisoning? Help!

Putnis

Hatching
Apr 6, 2024
Hello!
Today I faund one of my chickens laying down, more on her side and refusing to get up. Usually she's not happy with me touching her or lifting her up, but this time she didnt argue much. Her crop isnt hard, there is no hard lumps, its squishy and not very full. Tried to feel her bottom for stuck egg, but didnt feel anything strange also. Only thing I noticed, was a bit watery discharge, when I pushed around her butt.
After I released her, she made few wonky steps away and laid down again.
Her wattles isnt pale, they are bright red and she's doest look letargic any other way.
Shes not young, but I dont know her age and breed.
Yesterday I was scooping out old mess from winter and there was some moldy old seeds, shavings and feed, and while I was doing that, they were eating some of that stuff, so now I suspect that maybe she ate too much and got poisoned? Please help, Im not sure, what should I do to help her!

You might want to give her a flush in case she ate the moldy material. Add one teaspoonful of Epsom salts to a cup of water and have her drink that. It will give her diarrhea, but it may help. Check her crop to see if it has emptied tomorrow morning. I would separate her today in case others attack her for being lame. Older hens can suffer reproductive disorders and may have problems walking. Let us know how she is doing later.

You might want to give her a flush in case she ate the moldy material. Add one teaspoonful of Epsom salts to a cup of water and have her drink that. It will give her diarrhea, but it may help. Check her crop to see if it has emptied tomorrow morning. I would separate her today in case others attack her for being lame. Older hens can suffer reproductive disorders and may have problems walking. Let us know how she is doing later.
Thank you very much! Will do that right away!

Went to pick her up and found her in nesting box, where she laid and egg and now looks fine - walks, eats and drinks! 🥳 Probably it was some egg related problem... I still will be keeping eye on her, but can I give them all a bit salty water for mold profilactic? I also have turkeys. Or maybe its not a bright idea 🤔 Sometimes I do add some apple cider vinegar to their water, maybe it will do the trick?

Glad to hear that she is fine now after laying an egg. They can become temporarily lame with an egg sometimes. I hope she is fine now.

Back
Top Bottom