1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Repellent????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by norysmom, Nov 13, 2008.

1. norysmom

norysmom New Egg

Nov 13, 2008
    Parkton, MD
    My chickens are digging in my neighbor's garden beds. Any thoughts on keeping them away? I am willing to try anything!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Fence.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My pullets are scared poopless by turkey decoys lol. The roo on the other hand will attack them.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I have to agree, put them in a run.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    We need to be sure we are doing everything we can to be responsible for our chickens by making sure they don't go onto someone elses property. I let my chickens free range when I can keep an eye on them otherwise they are in their run.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Someone took netting and buried it in all their landscaping popping the plants up through it. The chickens couldn't dig through the netting and gave up. I don't remember the thread though. They sell various types of plastic netting in the garden section both for fence and for covering berry bushes and fruit trees so the wildlife don't get them all.

Another option for large areas is an electric strand. It's not real noticeable like a mesh fence would be and will deter all animals. I know some people with large acreages and free ranging poultry keep them in by only a couple strands of electric wire. In smaller areas though they are more likely to try flying over it since they aren't as content with what's on their side and they spend a lot more time near the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by