CHICKEN RIVALRY****HELP

shorty7978

Hatching
7 Years
May 21, 2012
So I seem to have 2 flocks of chickens which I really wanted one big flock but that doesnt seem to be happening. My first flock is of 8 Wyndottes (hens)and 2 silkies(hen&roo) which was the original bunch.They where born on the 30th of May so they are almost 5 months old. About 2.5 months ago I decided to get more chickens this time a variety. So while I was at the feed store I bought 2 Turkens, 3 Dutch Bantams, 3 Ameraucana, 3 Crested Polish, 1-Japanese. A few I lost to predators but for the most part all are doing well but for the last month or so I have continuously tried to introduce my new flock to the existing flock. The Wyndottes are having NONE of it they endlessly chase my new flock around pecking at them and just being ugly. I tried to give it some time but they were tearing up my turkens necks. I have 2 separate coops for the flocks but they are sitting right next to each other so they can see each other and get to know each other. I have switched chickens and coops to see if I could confuse the chickens, I have put the new flock in with the old flock at night and came out with BALD crested polish. I feel like everything I have done is to no avail. The chickens have a whole acre to run around on and are free range other then I put them away at night. So there is plenty of room for the young chickens to escape. But I really wanted the flocks to be one happy family but that is just not happening. I think I will always have 2 separate flocks at this rate....can anyone tell me what else I can try I tried even putting one or two big ones with the little ones and they still peck them non stop. Its agonizing to see and now my little chickens have to stay in their coop because the big ones wont stop being ugly. Please help!!!

I would just wait until the younger ones are a little older. I've always waited until my younger birds are nearly full grown before adding them to my existing flock. If that doesn't work find out which birds are instigating the fighting and remove them for a while. Let the other birds get used to the new ones before adding the instigators back.

Back
Top Bottom