Chicken roost: Pole or Platform Question

Roger-B

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 14, 2007
Our five hens have settled into their new hen house in an uncomfortable sleeping arrangement. Two are sleeping on a narrow ledge near the ceiling. Two are sleeping on an even narrower window sill on the opposite wall. The fifth is sleeping by herself on the roost pole. My question is whether I should"encourage" the four platform sitters to move to the pole by the introduction of some strategically place boards that will make the platform and sill untenable, or should I extend the sill and platform so they are more comfortable? The four don't seem to mind sleeping in their own poop and we are able to easily clean off the surface with a scraper each morning. The hen who is sleeping on the roots is the low one on the pecking order and it has been suggested that she likely needs a break from the others. But the pole is long and can easily accomidate them all. I can also install a second pole. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

I think it would be better for them all to sleep on the roost, they can keep each other warm.
BUT I don't think it makes a huge difference otherwise.

We have 12 chickens, 4 were new to our coop about a month ago - the four bantams, 3 are hens, and those three would sleep on the window sil. My husband went in each night and moved them to the roost. It worked on two of the hens, the other one still insists on sleeping on a shelf about 3 inches wide... she seems happy so I'm just leaving her there.

I don't think it will hurt them sleeping on the platform. Personally I would encourage them to sleep on the roost pole so I did not have to attend to that little chore every morning.

Chickens usually prefer sleeping on a flat surface, such as a 2 x 4 (although some bantams prefer to roost on branches). Is there a way to change out your roosting pole to something wider? It may just be uncomfortable for them, which is why they're seeking out the flat surfaces.

Just something to consider.
smile.png

The issue of the width of the roost is interesting. I currently have a rounded upright 2 x 4. I was about to replace it with a 1-3/16" closet pole, thinking that the 2 x 4 was a bit thick for them to hold onto. I can easily install a 2 x 4 on the flat to see if that is more attractive but I thought that the hens prefered to "lock-up" their claws on something at night. They certainly have some difficulties getting themselves settled on the edge of the 2 x 4, as it stands now.

Back
Top Bottom