Chicken + Rooster = Chick

I’ve gotten mixed information regarding that, too! Some say they start laying between 16 and anywhere from 29 to 40 weeks old. It’s safe to assume they’ll lay eggs…. Sometime during their lives 🤷🏻‍♀️😂
Depends on breed. and individual chicken. and hours of daylight. and even then, chickens don't keep calendars. Expected start of lay isn't a hard and fast date. Its more like a strong suggestion, with a range of weeks.

I have Golden Comets, a variety of red sex link hybrid. They are famed as early, frequent layers. Many will tell you they start laying at 16 weeks. Mine were 17-19 weeks. A better range, for most of them, of when you should expect start of lay is probably 16-20 weeks - unless the days are growing short in early winter, then it could be longer.

I also have Dark Brahma - they started around 30 weeks (7 months) +/-

Most of my birds started laying between 20 and 26 weeks, but I chose breeds and hybrids partially for moderately early maturity - other than the Pekin Ducks and the aforementioned Dark Brahma.

Pays to do your research, there's a lot of variety out there.

Depends on breed. and individual chicken. and hours of daylight. and even then, chickens don't keep calendars. Expected start of lay isn't a hard and fast date. Its more like a strong suggestion, with a range of weeks.

I have Golden Comets, a variety of red sex link hybrid. They are famed as early, frequent layers. Many will tell you they start laying at 16 weeks. Mine were 17-19 weeks. A better range, for most of them, of when you should expect start of lay is probably 16-20 weeks - unless the days are growing short in early winter, then it could be longer.

I also have Dark Brahma - they started around 30 weeks (7 months) +/-

Most of my birds started laying between 20 and 26 weeks, but I chose breeds and hybrids partially for moderately early maturity - other than the Pekin Ducks and the aforementioned Dark Brahma.

Pays to do your research, there's a lot of variety out there.
Our original OG's are Golden sexlinks and they are just wonderful. Not an ounce of broodiness in them, though. I believe they were around 18 weeks when they started to lay. It's quite nice to get at least 2 eggs a day from them! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom