Chicken Roosts - Shapes, Sizes, and Placement

Quote:
Mmm. By that reasoning, the narrow end of the 2x4 might be BETTER, then? B/c the wide side is more like a shelf, but the Chix can curl their feet around the narrow end (as in pic above)?

We use 2x4's with the flat side down for roosting. We also wrapped indoor/outdoor carpet on the roosts per our vet. ( one of our gals gets bumble foot and it would be soft on her feet when sleeping. The girls seems to like it and have a better grip. I can pick the roosts up and wash them off if needed. Also our vet suggested about 16 inches off the ground due to some gals being heavy and not having to jump down too far that would put pressure on their feet. Softer landing. I guess my gals have delicate feet.

66234_img_1377.jpg

Quote:
Not to be a smart alec but a 2 x 4 has all 4 sides flat.

I guess that is true. Good comeback
smile.png
Must be this intense heat we have here in AZ. Can't think clearly.

Quote:
I have about 15 LF (3@3ft in a stairstep pattern and 1@6ft) of roost for my 14 chickens, 8 of which are banties. It hasn't dropped below 85 at night and they still cram themselves into a corner of about 6 LF of roost.

Last edited:
Very interesting HenCam ! I also was wondering if a flat board wouldn't be better that they could sit on instead of hold tight with their toes.. wondering if they don't get cramped LOL...
Makes sense that they would need to hold on, so as not to fall to their deaths.
Also, how big a "poop board" are we talking? I would love to have one for my girls.. like to hang under their roost because I am going thru a LOT of shavings, trying to keep their coop nice and clean.

PS I also have a Live camera in my coop. I have no blog, but LOVE watching the interactions of my 6 chickens. Definately know what they;re doing... even if I don't.
Anyone is welcome to visit our Live camera. It is on the internet and has Night Vision so you can see them sleep at night and lay their eggs in the morning. Enjoy!

http://dropc.am/p/nrDHoB

You can just "sister" a 2x4 vertically to make a 3" wide top or you can do as you plan but put screws in the end of the vertical 2x4 so your flat one slips over it. Drill a hole that will just let the screw fit in and you can then take the roosts down for easy cleaning. You can use a nail and cut the head off so that you can make the hole a bit tighter fit.
Depending on how long the horizontals are, I would put 3 or more nails in, cut the heads off and then press the 2x4 on them to get your drill spot. Unless you are OCD precise, you will not hit each nail spot the same, so you can mark each roost board on the underside with magic marker - r1 - r2 - r3 so you know which one goes where.

If this is confusing let me know and I will make a pic and post it or email it to you.

Ive been deliberating and after reading this I believe I am going to make a change on my roost. Its only been in place about a week but what hencam said about their feet gripping around something makes sense and just seems like what they prefer more than the wide flat surface. Im also basing this on what they choose to perch on around the yard...its rarely something flat. Also, I have been by the coop well after dark theres been a time or two I could have sworn a chicken had fallen. How critical is the distance from the wall and what is ideal?

Can use 2x4s placed flat - so the 3 1/2" side is up flat for them to sit on. Can round the square top edges a little.

When it is cold, they can cover their feet with tummy feathers this way.

For short roosts, 2x2s can be used.

They end up walking up and down the roosts a lot, feeling out just the right position. They would slip a lot on round roosts and fall off. Branches off trees about 3 inches in diameter might work if they can walk them lengthwise. Bark woulld help with grip.

For chicks, I set up little 1x2s for them.

How you arrange them depends on your coop and birds.

My first flock fought to get the seat in front of the window with view. My second flock fought for the seat as far back in the corner away from the window. Birds are weird. This flock is still ignoring the roosts inside and sleeping outside on the sunporch (covered with hardware wire).

I have two rows at the same height. The birds behind can tuck their heads inbetween the front row birds. They seem to like to do this, especially in the winter to keep their heads warm, or just cuddling. So the boards are about eight to ten inches apart.

With your headroom, maybe one foot off the floor? They like to stand and stretch once in a while on the roost. Mine would climb over each other to get just the right spot too which takes some headroom.

This is horrible advice. The roost should be a size the chickens can wrap their toes around. I have a 1 1/4" wood closr pole for mine. If the chickens are forced to have their feet flat all the time its bad for them. Picture a parrot or parakeet cage. They dont have big flat roosts. The chickens are the same. They can roost on big 3" tree branches but if something smaller is availabe they would choose that over the larger rosst

This is horrible advice. The roost should be a size the chickens can wrap their toes around. I have a 1 1/4" wood closr pole for mine. If the chickens are forced to have their feet flat all the time its bad for them. Picture a parrot or parakeet cage. They dont have big flat roosts. The chickens are the same. They can roost on big 3" tree branches but if something smaller is availabe they would choose that over the larger rosst
Well then!

I'm a newbie, but this is consistent with things I've read all over the internet. I'm putting the finishing touches on my coop, but am thinking about running a little experiment - one good size, dowel, one 2x2, and one 2x4, and we'll see which one gets fought over!

Back
Top Bottom