1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken run and coop in the woods?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catsmithpuddin, May 9, 2011.

1. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    My blushing bride and I were out looking at the property a little while ago. (OK "the property sounds grand, we have 1 acre) The back corner is backed up by a horse pasture. It is about 20 ft of bout 15 year scrub pines around a couple old hardwoods.

We were thinking of fencing in this to make a chicken run. What are the down sides of doing this? I am trying to figure out the top...........

If you have any pics of something like this I would love to see them.

2. romadfox

romadfox Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Ridgeway, SC
    Hey,
    I have built my coop next to the house is a wooded area. I have a log home and used logs from my property I was thinning out anyway to make the coop and run. I have incorporated a couple of living trees into my run, so here is a link to my page below. Perhaps it'll give you some ideas. Have fun! https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=88683.
    Vince

3. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    Thanks Vince. Nice setup.

Anybody else have any good ideas?

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Vince, the only thing I can say is beautiful! LOVE the logs!

But, is that all chicken wire? Most predators won't have any trouble tearing through it.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That log coop is stunning. I am now thinking a lot harder about cutting down some trees....

I wouldn't use chicken wire by itself because it is too easy for predators to get through. Suggest adding farm fence (2x4 welded wire) combined with hardware cloth (1x2 or 1x1) around the base.

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I planted trees in my run for chickens to have free food falling, mulberries, apples, persimmons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by