Chicken Run and Well Placement

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stephsicola, Mar 9, 2015.

1. stephsicola

stephsicola New Egg

Jan 6, 2015
    Yesterday, my brother pointed out that our planned coop/run placement is just uphill of our well. I hadn't thought of it (I'm new to well water) but it does seem like a bad idea. We will have 25 chickens if it makes a difference.

My husband doesn't think it's a big deal and not worth moving it to a different location because the first spot is super convenient. The only other flat spot is much further from the house and shed.

Thoughts?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Distance to house and shed is a consideration cause you don't want to always be carrying things a way.
    The coop doesn't need to be on flat ground. A slope will drain better and tend to keep the run dry.
    As for the well, it depends on how deep it is, if lined and is it dug or drilled.
    A shallow well will be getting more surface water.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree with CC. Your cop will be cleaned out periodically, and the bedding moved away from the well site, so should be okay, if it's a deep well. Site the coop where it works best, considering convenience, neighbors, shelter, shade, etc. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by