Chicken run base material

Rodntam

Hatching
Jun 17, 2017
First time raising chickens....just put them out in the coop with attached run. Right now the bottom of the run is just grass and dirt, but already I can see it will get messy. Just wondering what others may be using that might keep it tidier?

Hi--
I like to keep the area as dry as possible- I have a layer of crushed stone covered with a couple inches of sand.
Good luch with the chickens!

Turn your run into a deep composting litter. Add: bedding from the coop, grass clippings, leaves, wood chips, garden debris, any other compostable material. The flock will thank you as they spend hours sifting through the DL looking for insects and other goodies. It will keep the soil of the run healthy, and even populate the guts of your flock with healthy microflora to improve their digestion and their immunity.

Good mix of dry plant materials work for me.

Power company tree trimmings, aged for 6 months.
1027378-7d69f343da1530b0f9ac6a90cfaeef44.jpg

Add other dry plant materials, leaves, grass cuttings, etc. as needed.
Beware short green grass clippings they can gorge on them and impact their crops.

Let my grass grow very long, mow it spread out and let it dry, makes great 'hay'.
1027013-716dea6c90c51aea25d833ed52eba7b7.jpg

Good mix of dry plant materials work for me.

Power company tree trimmings, aged for 6 months.
1027378-7d69f343da1530b0f9ac6a90cfaeef44.jpg

Add other dry plant materials, leaves, grass cuttings, etc. as needed.
Beware short green grass clippings they can gorge on them and impact their crops.

Let my grass grow very long, mow it spread out and let it dry, makes great 'hay'.
1027013-716dea6c90c51aea25d833ed52eba7b7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom