Chicken run/coop with vines

Jeggie

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014

I keep seeing pictures like this on Pinterest, but have been reading on here how chickens will try to swallow the grapes whole, choking on them. Is there a vine that would continue to do the job of protecting and shading the chickens without worrying about being a danger to them?

They also attract Japanese beetles, which chickens absolutely love to eat. Personally, I'd go for cucumbers or pole beans. If you want pretty, try scarlet runner beans. they have a red blossom, and also attract those Jap. beetles.

Akebia, if you live in a place where it can take sun. In the Pacific Northwest it can tolerate sun or shade. Hardy kiwis make a good, *vigorous* vine. It comes it male and female plants. The females make fruit larger than grapes, so chickens won't be tempted to swallow them whole. Or you could plant the male vine on the trellis and not worry about the fruit. All kiwis need a *really* strong trellising system.

Or, try training thornless black berries over the top-- like "Arapaho".

Gourds. Some are edible when picked smaller as well. Small pumpkins might work as well. One year I grew some gourd vines over a run that had a wire top and the gourds hung down like fancy lanterns. Looked kinda neat.

Roses will give you an added benefit. They are a favorite feed for the dreaded Japanese beetle. Chickens LOVE Japanese beetles. Just be sure that your fencing is strong enough to support those mature rose canes. Other options: Pole beans, tall peas, cucumbers, squash.

Back
Top Bottom