Chicken Run Floor Material

Pnwchicks

Chirping
Mar 11, 2024
Washington
Hi everyone,

We are building our coop and enclosed run. The area of the run was previously a patio so there's gravel that is about 6 inches deep. We plan to dig out at least 3 inches of gravel so we can bring in 6-8" of new material on top of that.

I'm in Eastern WA so we have a decent amount of rain/snow for half the year. The coop/run area has good drainage though.

I'm a first time chicken mom and I am reading so many conflicting things about chicken run material. These are my top 2 choices at this point. Any and all input is SO appreciated!

1.) Sand. A local landscape company sells a course sand (listed as best for paver patios, retaining walls, etc) or a bedding sand (sold for backfilling construction projects). I've heard sand is amazing for "scooping" out the poop similar to kitty litter but I have concerns of coarse sand being rough on the chickens feet, possibly mixing in with the gravel below, maybe stinky in the wet months? I will need to see the size of the bedding sand as well because I'm under the impression you do not want anything fine due to respiratory issues/dust.

2.) Wood Chips. I dont have room for an arborist to come drop off a big truckload. I've been told not to use bagged wood chips because of added dyes. My only other choice I can find is engineered playground chips but they are cedar and I'm reading conflicting things about cedar and chickens...

Now, my kids swingset area has these same cedar chips that have been sitting for the last year "airing out". If its only a matter of the smell being too strong can I use these older cedar chips for the run and I'll just bring in fresh ones to replace my kids area?

This group has been such a great resource the last few weeks! Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:
I’m new too and the conflicting opinions was very overwhelming. I’m actually using garden mulch. Supposedly the dyes are non toxic 🤞 I didn’t like the sand idea as if it gets wet, it stays wet. Also very heavy for me to haul in. They have a sandbox though. Under the mulch is just dirt ground that they dig into too.

Now, my kids swingset area has these same cedar chips that have been sitting for the last year "airing out". If its only a matter of the smell being too strong can I use these older cedar chips for the run and I'll just bring in fresh ones to replace my kids area?
There ya go!!
Even fresh cedar chips might not be aromatic enough to cause problems, especially in a run.

I believe it's eastern cedar is the more aromatic kind, there are other cedars that don't have that aspect. All cedar is long lasting and pest/rot resistant.

I’m new too and the conflicting opinions was very overwhelming. I’m actually using garden mulch. Supposedly the dyes are non toxic 🤞 I didn’t like the sand idea as if it gets wet, it stays wet. Also very heavy for me to haul in. They have a sandbox though. Under the mulch is just dirt ground that they dig into too.
Garden mulch sounds like a good option! I agree with you, sand would be very heavy to haul in. I hadn't thought of a sandbox but I'll add that into our plans as well!

Back
Top Bottom