Chicken Run Flooring

ZANEYchickenguy

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
My 12 week old Rhode Island Reds have eaten all the grass in their run in two weeks even though I feed them crumbles! The run smells really bad so I have an idea and need an opinion on it: I have 4 bags of pine pellets that I have never used so I was planning on pouring them on the ground and make it flat. Then on top of that, I was going to add a layer of mulch on top of the pellets. That way rain can try to go through the mulch and decompose into the pellets. The pellets also have a wonderful piney scent (Will the chickens eat them?). What does everyone think? Am I doing anything wrong?

I put sand in mine and never looked back it rains and dries out quick they poop it takes the moisture out I can rake it and make it clean again theres no sour chicken yard smell from staying wet they dust bathe in it. I also have a tin roof over their yard to help keep most of it dry. My sand came from construction sites its just a redish whitish sand that was dug up for setting drains 20 feet deep. Some people say they can't be in dust I dunno my great grandmas chickens stayed under her house and that dirt stays like powder.

I put sand in mine and never looked back it rains and dries out quick they poop it takes the moisture out I can rake it and make it clean again theres no sour chicken yard smell from staying wet they dust bathe in it. I also have a tin roof over their yard to help keep most of it dry. My sand came from construction sites its just a redish whitish sand that was dug up for setting drains 20 feet deep. Some people say they can't be in dust I dunno my great grandmas chickens stayed under her house and that dirt stays like powder.
I also have sand, and it works really good.

Zaney, where are you located? I believe your environment/weather will play a part in what may/may not work.

For me, sand would turn "concrete" like, in the winter. I put pine mulch/shavings/chips in the run. I sometimes also throw pine needles into the run. When I clean the coop, those shavings/chips get pushed out into the run and new are put in the coop. We mulch/chip our downed pine trees, so have plenty.

Any dry organic material that comes readily to hand will do the job of absorbing the moisture and composting together with the manure. Many people favor chunky wood chips because they'll take a long time to break down and offer superior drainage.

I like a mix of different material because I think that a mix is less likely to pack, mat, and form anaerobic pockets.

Many people favor chunky wood chips because they'll take a long time to break down and offer superior drainage.
Works great here!
But I have good drainage.

full

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/runs.7427859/

My 12 week old Rhode Island Reds have eaten all the grass in their run in two weeks even though I feed them crumbles! The run smells really bad so I have an idea and need an opinion on it: I have 4 bags of pine pellets that I have never used so I was planning on pouring them on the ground and make it flat. Then on top of that, I was going to add a layer of mulch on top of the pellets. That way rain can try to go through the mulch and decompose into the pellets. The pellets also have a wonderful piney scent (Will the chickens eat them?). What does everyone think? Am I doing anything wrong?
Please post pics of your run.
Any standing water?

Also.....
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1614869907120.png

Back
Top Bottom