Chicken Run for Winter - A-Frame Chicken Tractor

Momo7

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2021
We use an A-Frame Chicken Tractor (coop up top) for our hens but in the winter, we need to park it and add additional space for them to have a run (I think). So now is the time for us to decide how to go about this. My husband wants to repurpose fencing materials we have already and use t-posts to create a run but I'm concerned about ground predators. We just lost 8 of our 19 chickens to a predator in one night - I dumbly let them free range during evening hours. Thus, I would like to lean towards getting a Premier 1 Poultrynet Plus fence. However, that leaves me with how to keep aerial predators away. Any suggestions/thoughts you all have would be welcome.

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you located? I love my electric netting all year here in central NC where our version of winter *might* include measurable snow once or twice a year. But if you get deep snow it will short out.

I personally accept the fact that I *could* have hawk losses as a tradeoff for the convenience and flexibility. Many people do not want to risk losses and create a covered run -- with a roof or anti-hawk netting.

Thanks! We are in mid-Missouri. We get colder than NC where you are but not a whole lot of snow most years. Last year, definitely more than usual. What electric fencing do you have? I was also thinking of these benefits as well. My husband, understandably, is looking at the $$. Like many here, we have a LOT of money into these chickens as is. :D

Thanks! We are in mid-Missouri. We get colder than NC where you are but not a whole lot of snow most years. Last year, definitely more than usual. What electric fencing do you have? I was also thinking of these benefits as well. My husband, understandably, is looking at the $$. Like many here, we have a LOT of money into these chickens as is. :D

I have the Premier 1 48" Poultry Plus netting.

Could you park it up against another building?

Then it would be easy to make a lean-to type roof with just scrap materials that would give the chickens some snow free/rain free sheltered area.

I have found the premier 1 products to be excellent quality, I haven't had their poultry net... but the posts and such I got from them are great.

I meant to attach a picture of the tractor.... We have plans to put polycarbonate where all the fencing is, except for some for ventilation - will remove the tarp. This will shield them from the elements and allow sunlight in so should help with heating it too. The run is 80 sq feet but I wanted to give them more since it will be parked and I know it will get nasty. I assume chickens still go out in the winter? We really want to park it in our current garden space so we don't tear up more grass.

PXL_20211014_212229081.jpg

I meant to attach a picture of the tractor.... We have plans to put polycarbonate where all the fencing is, except for some for ventilation - will remove the tarp. This will shield them from the elements and allow sunlight in so should help with heating it too. The run is 80 sq feet but I wanted to give them more since it will be parked and I know it will get nasty. I assume chickens still go out in the winter? We really want to park it in our current garden space so we don't tear up more grass.

View attachment 2867492
It would be nice if the entire front was left open for ventilation.... but that might mean you need to stick it in a sheltered location so snow doesn't blow in.

Back
Top Bottom