Jul 10, 2020
Good day all!

I'm pretty new to raising chickens so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want to build a new coop and run for my hens but I'm unsure of where I should put it. The current chicken coop is not on flat ground and causes issues with water pooling and several other issues that would cost way more to fix than I'm willing to spend right now.

I have 7 acres of land and have plenty of options but unsure of the best placement.

My property to the right butts up against a highway about 50-75 feet above where the coop and run would be. Although this would be a great spot I'm worried that the noise from the highway will stress the hens out.

Are chickens easily stressed by noises like that or will they eventually get used to it and be fine?

Getting the chickens out of a wet area is far more important for their good health than any stress that highway noise could possibly cause. :)

If you add your general location to your profile people will be able to give you more targeted advice -- for example, anyone who lives in central NC like I do should be sure to provide the chickens with shade -- either natural from trees/bushes or artificial (I have a picnic fly over my coop).

Getting the chickens out of a wet area is far more important for their good health than any stress that highway noise could possibly cause. :)

If you add your general location to your profile people will be able to give you more targeted advice -- for example, anyone who lives in central NC like I do should be sure to provide the chickens with shade -- either natural from trees/bushes or artificial (I have a picnic fly over my coop).

I'm located in Nashville TN and I'm about to post some pics of the area that I would like to put the coop for reference

My top criteria for locating a coop and run is drainage. You are seeing why. Everything else can be worked out. In the Nashville area you'll need shade in summer but you can build that.

Another criteria for me is your convenience. You will be feeding and watering daily. How easy is that for you in winter and summer? In the rain? Where will you be carrying feed and water from?

Are you saying that the new location of the coop and run would be 50-75 feet from the highway? Even if big trucks use that highway they will get used to that.

Back
Top Bottom