chicken run---how tall?

tkvance

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 12, 2009
I'm new to the chicken-raising world, and am preparing a coop and run for 3-4 hens. I've read here that the run should have 10 sq. ft. per hen. But, how tall should I build the run? Is 3 feet tall enough height? Or should it be taller?
Thanks!

I've a friend who's got one at 3 ft - its worked for her for several years. Mine is 4 just because that was the width of the hardware cloth we purchased.

I've built a run for my broody mom and her baby chick 8x2 1/2 and 3' high and but a roosting bar right in the middle about 1' off the ground and they love it. I would often see them roost mama and her chick. Then I also got inspired and built another portable run for my chicks 8x8 and 3' high. I've used 2x2 on the smaller run and 2x2 and 2x3 for the bigger run. I'll post pic's tomorrow, haven't taken any pic's yet. Good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited:
I personally like my coops BIG and I'd make the run tall enough for me to walk around in, and put some random stuff out there for the chickens to climb on, maybe some nice tree branches etc., a sort of jungle gym for 'em.

I suspect this may be because when I was a kid, we had a parrot and some neighbors, the Bickels, had parrots in big aviaries, and a local tourist attraction was a place that was a HUGE aviary with double doors to keep the parrots in, and you'd walk through and give 'em sunflower seeds etc that you'd pay 25c a handful for. LOL and this was in the 70s! It's like paying a couple of bucks now!

Anyway, I like to have things so I can walk around and work in there comfortably. But then, it's a lot more hardware cloth to buy.

Think about how you'll get in there to clean out the run, get a chicken, etc. If you build the run shorter than you are, think about making the roof hinged so you can get inside there without having to crawl.

Crawling over ground littered with chicken poop on your hands and knees is not a lot of fun. Don't ask me how I know this.

Quote:
X2

Mines 4' tall and I've smaked my head more than once bending over to add feed to hopper. The chickens don't need much ceiling space but I'd sure like an extra foot now.

I agree. I think you would be happier if you built it tall enough to move around in. If thats not an option then i would look at making a hinged top on it. You can count on it,the time will come when you need to get in there for some reason or another.

44824_silkie_part_in_the_back.jpg
I agree my first run was4 ft tall and my back was broke trying to do things in there like clean up in the spring and catch a chicken it was awful.Now I have these runs built over the past two years,it great not to be bent over trying to do something.

Great info. Thanks---I think I'll make a hinge on the complete top, so the whole thing can be lifted up. Great idea. I was only planning on doing a small opening, but will change my plans.
The pics are great---I WISH I had enough room back there to do a stand-up run like that.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom