chicken run netting for roof?

roxie901

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
I am trying to find a simple way to put a roof over a large run area for my chickens- I have seen from a distance what looks like netting for a roof held up in the middle by posts.
Has anyone tried netting like this? where to buy?
any other suggestions beside chicken wire for the roof that is not too complicated to install?
thanks!

In terms of flexible (string-type) netting, there are sort of three basic food groups: 1) fancy expensive aviary netting (pretty strong), available from poultry supply houses e.g. Murray McMurray, Ideal, Randall Burkey, etc etc etc or on ebay; 2) yer basic cheap garden netting intended for trellising or for keeping birds off your cherry trees (not so strong, but considerably cheaper, esp if you only want a little bit), available from garden centers and large chain hardware stores and suchlike; or 3) plastic mesh usually sold as deer fencing (fairly strong, less flexible), available from same sources as trellis netting.

The aviary netting mostly comes in 25' or 50' widths and long lengths; the trellis netting or deer fence come in various widths from 6' to 12' depending on the brand and type.

So it depends on how much security you want, and how much material, and how much price.

Note that NONE of these will slow down a possum or raccoon for more than about five seconds, and do not count on them to keep jumping dogs or climbing foxes out either. They're really only to keep chickens from flying out, and hawks/eagles/owls from flying in. Also they must be VERY STRONGLY BRACED if you get any snow in your area, and may come down despite it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I bought poultry netting off ebay. I bought the 25 x 50 ft one and it was a reasonable price- I don't remember exactly the price though (I think around $30-40). I used it over the top only to keep hawks from flying down for lunch. I did use chicken wire around the entire outside of the run though. I have not had a problem with the netting over the top. Works great.

Most of the commercial game bird farms, where a pen size of 50'x150' is common, use the woven black UV inhibited polypropylene netting. Flight pen top netting is made in three different weights and three different mesh sizes: 1", 1-1/2" and 2". Perhaps the most important factor in using any covering for your pen is the potential snow load the cover may have to carry. If you live in an area with little or no snow, the 1" mesh works fine. In areas with a lot of snow, 2" mesh is better to use. Larger pens do use interior posts that are taller than the perimeter posts. This makes a tent-like structure. In snowy areas, the poles can be taken down, allowing the top netting to lay on the ground rather than tear. The birds will have enough room to take refuge on the outside edges of the pen.

If you search online for the term "flight pen top netting" you will find suppliers of this mesh. Goog luck with your search!

Duncan

I used an about 30 ft square piece of 1 inch square fish netting that I found on eBay (something like this: fish netting). It's a little unwieldy for one person to work with alone, but it comes in large sizes and is pretty strong (not predator proof strong, but at least durable). I dyed it dark green with Rit dye to make it blend in better with the surroundings. It looks nice, but has faded quite a bit in the sun.

I used netting to keep the hawks out also. Worked great until it snowed and the netting is dipping down to the ground. We even built "T" posts to hold it up.

Live and Learn

Back
Top Bottom