Chicken Run on drainage rocks?

emcdiggs

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2017
We were fortunate when we moved in that the previous owners left a great 10 ft x 10 ft storage house under the next on a cement slab. We have gotten to work putting in ventilation, windows, roosts, and nesting boxes to transform it into a great coop!

The difficulty we are having is deciding where to extend the outdoor run. Under the deck there is drainage rocks sloping away from the house. From all my research sand, hand, dirt etc are the main things used for the run. We originally planned on having the entire run jut out from the deck into the grass, but i was thinking we might be able to add 200ish sq ft if it is possible to use the space under the deck!

Does anyone have experience with having the run covered in decent sized rocks/drainage rocks? I understand it would be more difficult to clean. Any input is welcome! Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
The rocks might cause abrasions or cuts to the bottoms of their feet...leading to bumble foot. If you are looking for drainage would it be possible to put down the rocks you mentioned with smaller pea gravel or even sand on top of that?
Also, I noticed this is your first post. If you'd like, pop on over to the New Member Introductions Forum and say howdy so we can give you a proper BYC welcome! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions

Thank you! We were discussing the possibility of laying sand on top of the rocks! The land has a gentle slope to it, but didnt want to cause any flooding in the basement if we took it up!
The rock is already there, so would have to layer pea gravel and/or sand on top. What are your thoughts with digging? If they are going to dig, they would have plenty of soil in that part of the coup and dust baths. Would that deter them from digging where the larger drainage rock is laid?

Last edited:
Sand and gravel saturated with pulverized chicken poop will stink to high heaven when damp.
Maybe not for the first few months, or many months, but eventually.
Will be impossible to really 'clean'.
Probably not a good idea depending on the microclimate in that area.

Knowing your climate and goals..with some pics of the area.....could help garner more sound advice.

We are in the foothills of Western NC. We went through the pros and cons over the weekend and are going to stay away from the rocks! This way we decrease the guesswork involved! We have the plans sketched out and friends on board to help put it in. Thank you so much for your input!

Back
Top Bottom