Chicken run question

meredithfp

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
My chickens have a fantastic coop that was built by a friend of mine (you can see pics at http://www.lifelessmessy.com/?p=727

Today I built a fence and gate for the front half of their run, but I have questions about the back half.

chicken-side-yard-1.jpg

I'm hoping to create both chicken run and compost pile out of the area in the pic above. It's a long, narrow area that is full of possibility. Right now I have just a length of chicken wire protecting the area, which I know is not enough. I'd love advice about how to set up this space to make the most of chicken running and composting. On the left is 4-foot high chain link fencing. On the right is the house -- with two different extensions. How would you set it up?

The blog post linked above explains all of my questions and concerns about our chicken area and I'd love any feedback!

I should say, my first idea was to build a fence long-ways and make one half compost, the other half chicken run. But I'm thinking that would make each half quite narrow which could make cleaning and composting difficult. The other option is building a fence about halfway back -- composting in the back half (between the two fences) and letting the chickens have the front half. The problem with this is that it could make composting difficult -- but it would give my plumber great access to the pipes that freeze in the winter.

My first thought...

Have you thought of some type of roof over your run? Without one, predators could easily climb trees and get into the run....and the chickens would find a four foot fence easy to fly over?

It looks like a wonderful shady spot for these hot summer days.

Gail

Back
Top Bottom