Chicken run questions....

Heluhelu

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
We currently have 6 hens and 2 roosters (all rhode island reds) living in two separate tractors (3 hens and 1 rooster in each). We are about ready to start building a permanent coop and run. See link to coop we are building http://www.oklahomahistory.net/chickencoop.html.

I
would like to have two separate runs with the coop so the chickens can scratch up one yard while the other one grows back. So we are planning on putting another chicken door on the other side of the coop (one on the right and one on the left) with the yard divided down the middle. We would just open the door to one run at a time. We live in a very tropical environment- so grass and everything else grows VERY fast. Here are my questions.

1) How big do you think each yard should be? Space is not a problem, but $$ for fencing supplies is. I would like the chickens to have more freedom then they have now, and would also like to give the second yard time to grow while they destroy the one they are in.
2) We donʻt have a predator problem here; the only problems would be our dog (which is why we can not let the chickens free range), mongoose, and possibly rats. Do you think the yard would need to be covered? Also what kind of fence would you recommend?
3) If we do not cover the yard- how high would you recommend the fence be so they canʻt fly out?
4) Do you think the two roosters would get along when we put the two groups of birds together, or do you think we should get rid of one of them?

Back
Top Bottom